Identification: Shrub with teeny pink flowers

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by wcutler, Jun 16, 2018.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This must be a common shrub; I just don't know what it is, but there was plenty of it on my walk along the seawall in Yaletown.

The shrub was about 60cm to one meter, if I remember correctly. Leaves are opposite. The flowers are very small, maybe 5mm. Fruits so far are the same size, with sepals at the ends that appear to be a continuation of the outside skin of the fruit. Pretty cute.
    TeenyPinkFloweredShrub_YaletownSeawall_Cutler_20180613_153924.jpg TeenyPinkFloweredShrub_YaletownSeawall_Cutler_20180613_154859.jpg TeenyPinkFloweredShrub_YaletownSeawall_Cutler_20180613_154948.jpg TeenyPinkFloweredShrub_YaletownSeawall_Cutler_20180613_155009.jpg

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like Symphoricarpos, snowberry. Might be a cultivar.

Sundrop likes this.
  3. wcutler

Thank you, Eric. Snowberry! I've seen those berries, have heard the botanical name (it's been posted for ID over the years) but don't really know it. We've never posted it from UBCBG, but I see that there are several locations in the BC Native Garden and one in the Winter Garden.

Caprifoliaceae, honeysuckle family.

4. wcutler

Here are the snowberry fruits on the Symphoricarpos albus var. laevigatus from UBCBG that I posted at June 2018 favourites. This seems to be a different species from the one I posted for ID in this thread - leaves are thinner.
    Symphoricarpos-alba- var-laevigatus_UBCBG_Cutler_20180809_172453.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  5. wcutler

I found a Symphoricarpos today a few flowers among the fruits.
    Symphoricarpos_1122Bute_Cutler_20200831_134904.jpg

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes indeed - a lovely native BC plant

The one you photo’d is very lush for August I think

I have most often seen it in old fences along old pastures in the SE part of Vanc Island

I always have to look up the other white berry native shrub here in BC .... can’t think of name right now.

7. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Further to above - I remember now my decades-long confusion is I get Symphoricarpus (topic of this thread)

—- mixed up in my Latin name brain with Amelanchier alnifolia

Just one of those things how certain names and old addresses, license plates, & phone numbers stick with us forever and others fly in and out

The Symphoricarpus berries are enjoyed by small birds as far as I know ... I have also carefully picked some stems (leaving lots for wildlife always) as they look nice in the empty winter container by the front door with some other seasonal greens

8. wcutler

Thanks. I guess it gets to go in the Pac NW Native Plants forum, where it will be in just a sec.
    I have some names I always mix up too, but I refuse to try to think of them right now - it will happen soon enough.