Shrub with shiny leaves, thin purple stems

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Jul 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have a feeling I'm supposed to recognize this shrub in a private garden in Victoria. I even think I saw one in Vancouver, but I don't remember the street; maybe I even posted it for ID.

Alternate leaves are maybe 4 cm long, shiny, sort of yellowish, entire margins that are very wavy. The thin stems seem sort of purple and contrast nicely with the leaves. I couldn't find any flowers or fruits.
    Shiny-wiggly-leaves_GovernmentToronto-Victoria_Cutler_20190718_104947.jpg Shiny-wiggly-leaves_GovernmentToronto-Victoria_Cutler_20190718_104959.jpg

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pittosporum tenuifolium

3. wcutler

Wow, another New Zealand plant, very close to the daisy bush I just posted, same garden. I had no idea they had a theme going on. Thank you.
    I have photos of Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Golf Ball', from Deborah Cheadle's garden on Bainbridge Island, four years ago. The leaves aren't wiggly, though. I don't feel that I should have recognized it from this.
    PittosporumTenuifoliumGolfBall_DeborahCheadleGarden_BainbridgeIsland_Cutler_20150628_131133.jpg PittosporumTenuifoliumGolfBall_DeborahCheadleGarden_BainbridgeIsland_Cutler_131151.jpg

But then I have Pittosporum 'Tom Thumb', which I see is a tenuifolium cultivar. This is from Lakemount, in County Cork, Ireland. More wiggly leaves but not as nice.
    PIttosporumTomThumb_Lakemount-CountyCork-Ireland_Cutler_20130529_P1470905.JPG

Ah-ha - I do have photos of P. tenuifolium. I didn't post them, have no idea how I came up with the ID. I think maybe the gardener was around. They are in (what we call) a boulevard planting, not at the location I was thinking, though my original thought was also in a boulevard. I would never have found these photos without knowing the name. This was such a cute little plant - interesting to see what it would grow up to be.
    Pittosporum-tenuifolium-PurpleStems_1675Cypress2nd_Cutler_20180911_141438.jpg Pittosporum-tenuifolium-PurpleStems_1675Cypress2nd_Cutler_20180911_141427.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Tom Thumb' is a 'Purpureum' seedling raised in New Zealand about 1960. The point of it is having the green leaves aging purple motif of 'Purpureum' on a dwarf, dense rounded shrub.

wcutler likes this.
  5. wcutler

I'm abusing the hospitality of the forums here by posting this little shrub that I saw a little over a week ago, knew that I'd posted it one year, but I could not remember the name. It's taken me ages to find it, and I was not able to find it in my photos, but here, again only a year later, is Pittosporum tenuifolium. Wendy: learn the name. This might be pushing it for hardiness here, but it's such a lovely plant, and the May-blooming purple flowers are supposed to be fragrant.
    Pittosporum-tenuifolium-PurpleStems_1675Cypress2nd_Cutler_20210114_134127.jpg Pittosporum-tenuifolium-PurpleStems_1675Cypress2nd_Cutler_20210114_134131.jpg

Margot likes this.
  6. wcutler

I'm having a bizarre time doing searches tonight. I am searching for a plant with fuzzy leaves with ruffled edges (Identification: - Opposite fuzzy leaves with super curly edges, fuzzy stems | UBC Botanical Garden Forums). Five minutes ago, I was shown as a hit Hosta 'Curly Fries', which I think is the right ID for what I posted at (1) Identification: - Whorl of leaves with parallel veins, wiggly edges | UBC Botanical Garden Forums.
    Then scrolling some more, I was shown Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Silver Ruffles' (danger garden: Foliage Follow-up September 2013…new plants (yes, it is a sickness) (thedangergarden.com)), which I think is the ID for the plant in the previous posting here. What's really strange to me is that these plants that are coming up are in the same street-side garden as the fuzzy-leafed thing I'm looking for. But I have not posted them together anywhere.
    The one here is what I really went to see yesterday, to see if there are flowers (no, there are not, nor any evidence that I missed them). Here's what it looks like now.
    Pittosporum-tenuifoliumSilverRuffles_1675Cypress1st_Cutler_20210602_164725.jpg Pittosporum-tenuifoliumSilverRuffles_1675Cypress1st_Cutler_20210602_164748.jpg Pittosporum-tenuifoliumSilverRuffles_1675Cypress1st_Cutler_20210602_164751.jpg

Margot likes this.