Identification: shouldn't be very challenging

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by stupidkid, Nov 28, 2004.

1. stupidkid

stupidkid Member

hi,

i don't have much experience with plants, and i don't think these are anything too out of the ordinary so i don't suppose you'll have much trouble! but i'd like to know what these are so i can find out how to look after them...

to give you an idea how clueless i am, i'm gonna guess that the one on the left is an orchid, the next one is a cactus, the next one is a small green plant, and the one on the right a tall green plant. can you do better?

thanks in advance,

ben

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

from left to right:
    1: bromeliad of some sort
    2:Crassula speceis
    3: may be a dracaena species, dwarf warneckii?
    4: variegated schefflera

I am betting their are some better indoor plant id members here but at least this may give you something to start with.

3. stupidkid

stupidkid Member

thanks jimmy, i followed up your info and i learned a bit more. i think the first one is Guzmania Sprucei (a bromeliad), picture at

http://bsi.org/brom_info/gallery/Guzmania/sprucei.html

whilst i see where you're coming from classing the second as a crassula (having looked at about a hundred just now), i've just now looked at about a hundred, and none of them seemed to match. anybody know what kind of crassula this is?

for the possible dracaena, i couldn't find any photos of a dwarf warneckii though it does look a bit like a non-dwarf warneckii. i'm out of time now i'll try more later.

and the schefflera, i think that was my mum's guess too. but yours doesn't look like a guess, it looks like a statement. and the picture at

http://hortiplex.gardenweb.com/plants/jour/p/61/gw1093561/3356711002541905.jpeg

is pretty convincing too. but why is mine all stick and no bush? has it yet to get bushy? incidentally, that one is growing roots like they're going out of fashion. i was going to repot it but i thought it might turn into a tree and wouldn't fit in my car. what do you think?

thanks again for your help

ben

4. stupidkid

stupidkid Member

errr... i've just looked again at that photo, and noticed that the `stick' that my schefflera now has was not there back when that was taken! so, it's grown much taller, but not much bushier since then. am i killing it softly? or is it just trying to get my attention?

ben

5. idnetify plants

Hi! From left to right. THe first one, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's not an orchid. The next one Is deffinately a Jade plant, the next might be a spiderplant if it is young, and the end one is a varigated umbrella plant. Hope this helps, Luke.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Bromeliad
    Jade plant
    Dracaena
    Schefflera

The bromeliad is a tank plant: keep water in the reservoirs formed by its leaf bases at all times.