Should these be separated?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Thomas Anonymous, May 28, 2008.

1. Thomas Anonymous

Thomas Anonymous Active Member

I just got these mailed to me, they're a type of Trichocereus, and I guess what happened was Buddy, being used to really low germination rates, put down way more seeds than he wanted cactuses and got an unusually high germination rate, so thats why there's a bunch of them in one clump --- I don't think it's because these are all arms of one plant.

I repotted them into this large pot because I understand these grow really fast, but I'm wondering now if perhaps I should separate them and put each arm in it's own pot, but am hesitant because I'm concerned about damaging the inter-twined roots --- any feedback on this would be appreciated.

;)

Attached Files:

2. Thomas Anonymous

Never mind --- I separated them.

They weren't one plant with many arms but rather the results of sowing several seeds in one little spot --- a bunch of plants very close together. Each column was a different plant.

The problem was that the seeds were sown so close together that the root balls were entwined, and no matter how delicately I manipulated the root-ball to disentangle them, there was an unavoidable amount of root damage, a small amount, I hope.

These are supposed to be really fast-growing cactuses. I think I did the right thing.

We'll see, I guess.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

You did the right thing. Otherwise one or two really strong seedlings would have choked the others.

4. Thomas Anonymous

Thanks Loz.