Should neighboards get upset if we plant fruit trees?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by gatoso, Apr 24, 2009.

1. gatoso

gatoso Member

Hello All:

I faced this today and I am a bit shocked.

My next door neighbors were upset because we have planted a few fruit trees in our property (2 apples, one cherry and one apricot; all dwarfs). They said that we can do wherever we want in our property but that I was not smart by doing that and that they can see that I have not lived here for long….We have 1/3 acre on North Van.

I said that if I saw that the trees were attracting bears and were to become a treat to anybody’s safety, I was going to cut them.

I do think that garbage attracts more bears.

I believe that if you have a bit of earth, why not put it to work…

Any comments? Are bears such a threat here that we have a right to become rude?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Your neighbour has a valid concern, and perhaps had a negative experience with previous or other neighbours. However, the fact that you're asking and willing to consider their concerns (even after a perhaps not-entirely positive conversation) already suggests to me that you'd be a responsible neighbour.

Here are some resources for you to read and consider:

Preventing Bear Problems (re: orchards, it suggests electric fences and being diligent about picking ripe fruit)

Bear Season Begins via the North Shore Outlook (published last week -- and I'm guessing your neighbours read the article).