Should i take my maples out of the shed this week?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by STi, Mar 19, 2007.

1. STi

STi Active Member

Hi! I live in Rhode Island and we just had snow two days ago and most of this week will hit low 30's to high 20's at night....Should i take my maples out of the shed yet or wait late week or next week?

The trees:

Shin Deshojo
    Ukigumo
    Crimson Queen
    Katsura

2. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

How cold can it go? That's the issue. My understanding is that maples in containers can have their roots damaged at temperatures below 15 F. Seems like that would be a distinct possibility still in New England, as we are still seeing lows in the upper 20s in North Carolina. I moved my potted JMs into our unheated garage in late January, when winter finally arrived here, and just moved them outside again about two weeks ago. Since then we've had several freezes but I'm not worried unless it drops down into the teens again.

3. STi

STi Active Member

I don't think we will see teens but it is possible....I put them in the shed mid to late December and wanted to take them out this week.

One thing i am worried about is my Ukigumo which had buds on it when i put them in the shed and it still has the buds!! will this tree die or is it dead? or will the just open up and be fine?