should i re-pot?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by indy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. indy

indy Member

Hi everyone. I have a small rose plant that was given to me and it is not doing so well. It was wrapped in nice gift paper about half way up the plant. a few days after I unwrapped the plant, the leaves on the bottom started to fall off and now my blooms are turning brown. I have noticed that the plant looks root bound. It also has some moderate black spot going on too. Should I wait to re pot the rose until all the blooms are gone or should I do it now? I am afraid it is dieing and i really want to save it. Also, I have a miniature rose that did not do so well in the heat. Part of it is dieing and the other part is struggling (but blooming a small sad flower!). Any advice on how to trim back or help this little fighter look better? Thanks to everyone in advance!!

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Assuming that the older rose is in a pot, make sure that it is draining well - if not drill some more holes, and that it is getting adequate water. Prune off the weak buds and flowers, and prune all of the "dying" canes to apple-green wood, even if that takes the cane all the way back to soil level. This is true for your new miniature as well, and gently remove all leaves with blackspot from both the cane and the soil below. I would soak this one in a bucket of water overnight in the shade, then gently separate the roots and trim them before planting in a bigger pot. Don't be shy about all of this pruning; they actually love it.