Should I buy??

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by moonlitpath, Jul 6, 2007.

1. moonlitpath

moonlitpath Active Member

In a local home improvment store, they have a bunch of discounted orcids for $10. They're the Phalaenopsis Orchid type and very few Dendrobium Orchid type. They are all cut down to they're stems .. so maybe about 5" or so is all that are left.

I've never owned an orchid before so I thought maybe this would be a good experiment to try for a novice like me to see if I can make it bloom. Does anyone think this is possible instead of shelling out $25 for one??

~*moonlitpath*~

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I own quite a few. Very few of the ones I've ever bought at home improvement stores ever bloom after the initial spike. Now that does not mean you won't have some success, but since you have already indicated you have little experience with orchids the $10 per plant may just be a gift to the store. I've seen some stores get them down to .50 per plant and then I'd consider spending the money. But my advice, and I've grown these for many years, is to spend the $25 but spend it at a good orchid grower. That way you'll get a plant that has been cared for and is very likely to bloom again.

Here are some basics to consider before you lay the credit card on the counter:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/caringforyourorchids.html

3. everlasting

everlasting Active Member

Usually, discounted orchids are not in good condition and they sell these to get it out of their inventory. Those orchids you mention need expertise to grow the root system. The orchids will only grow and bloom if it has good root system. You can try them out but you need a good atmosphere for them to grow like a humid place. try dendros because they root easily and bloom after at least 7 months.

On my side of town, I just water my orchids twice a day during summer and once or not at all during rainy days. I put them on half shade and put a slow release every 3 or 4 months.

4. photopro

And that is excellent advice! Problem is you live in a tropical zone and I have a "tropical rain forest" atrium. Most people don't' have that humidity in a controlled situation. As a result, people who are trying to save a few dollars on nearly dead orchids at home improvement stores usually end up throwing their "investment" away in short order. If you are new at orchids, buy them from someone who knows what they are talking about and can give you good advice. I'd bet if you asked a question about an orchid in a home improvement store, 99% of the time you get a blank look! That is why their orchids looks so bad most of the time and they sell them cheap in hopes of recovering a portion of their investment. Home improvement store people are taught how to grow shrubs and grasses, they often know zero about orchids. But still, great advice, if you have a "rainy season".

5. photopro

I'm probably going to get clobbered for this from someone who works at a home improvement store, but unfortunately it has been true at almost every one I've ever visited.

You will get your best advice on orchids in those kinds of stores (discount stores included) from a book by Ortho sold near the cash registers, not normally in the plant department. Ortho's book on orchid growing is reasonably sound though there are things in there I would personally argue against! Don't ask me exactly what, I haven't picked the book up in years! But the basic techniques are sound.

Just watch the people who care of the orchids! They put them on the shelf and just let them sit there! They rarely even cut off the dead spikes or dead leaves! I've seen their orchids right next to the door in the middle of winter! Snow was on the ground outside! Guaranteed, those orchids aren't bound for this world very long!

The first advice I was ever given was keep orchids away from drafts, hot direct sunlight, cold glass, and cold air! And just feel the potting media. Guaranteed, in most cases it will be completely dried out! These plants grow in a rain forest! They love water, well most of the year! The folks at the home stores water them when they feel like it! I water mine almost daily during the heat of the year!

I do not own an orchid nursery. I sell only a few each year to people who come to see the ones I grow! But buy your orchids from someone who knows what they are doing! You can tell if they know anything if they have a bunch in bloom! Otherwise, you'll likely be very disappointed.

I'm certain, more people are turned off about orchids, and made to believe they are impossible to grow, by home improvement stores and discount stores than any other source! Here's a little trick to try. Ask a sales person to explain what a pseudobulb is and does? Ask them the difference in a Phal, a Dendrobium, a Cattleya, and an Oncidium. I'd bet they will have not a clue! Then ask what kind of "potting soil" to use if you want to put it in a bigger pot. Be sure and say "potting soil". If they tell you anything other than orchid potting media, RUN! Now some just might get that one right, but I've been told many times you can use plain old potting soil. A very few tropical species grow in the ground, most grow attached to the sides of trees. They are epiphytes, not terrestrials. They will die in soil!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  6. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

As a confirmed orchid addict I would agree with other comments. The hassle of trying to revive a dying or damaged orchid is rarely worth it. Even here in Yellowknife, NWT orchids can be found at Walmart for under $20. A healthy plant from a real orchid vendor is even better espescially if comes with advice. The instant gratification of a blooming plant will far outweigh the extra price. If you have begun to collect orchids, seedlings or divisions from other growers (ie from an orchid society) are good way to build a collection. Remember there are several hundred thousand orchid hybrids so choose carefully for your conditions and tastes (I have some space hogs that hard to justify now).

Shaun

7. photopro

Well said Shaun. Well said!