Should a jade cutting do this?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Amany, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Amany

Amany Member

I was given a jade branch eighteen days ago to propagate. The lady who gave it to me told me to stick it in some soil and give it a light watering. Well, now the leaves are starting to wrinkle. It's mainly the upper leaves. Is that normal?

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Hi,

That's normal. The plant hasn't got any roots so there is no intake of water. The leaves are basically bags of water and that water is getting used up. It should put out new roots and then (if those leaves survive) they will plump up again.

A word of warning: that cutting is very susceptible to rot. If the leaves are wrinkling then the plant has no roots yet and there really isn’t any point to giving it water. It will only encourage rot. Did you let the cutting sit out for a while to scab over before planting it? It might be worth your time to check the cutting and see if rot or roots have started. I’ve killed plenty of jade pieces and know how easily they rot ;)

Let me know how it goes,
    Michael

3. Amany

Amany Member

Hi Michael.

Your reply eases my mind. Thanks.

The cutting scabbed over for 10 - 14 days before I got it. I'll just be patient and hope for the best.

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Good, keep me posted. I love Jades.