Acer shirasawanum 'Sonya Marie' - no variegation

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Scion Swapper, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

Howdy Friends,

I have a small graft or two of Acer shirasawanum 'Sonya Marie' and I have a question. My plants all look very similar to shirasawanum 'Aureum' and don't show any variegation. Could it be that my original scions were from reverted wood, or does this plant need to be "in the right spot" for the variegation to show up (maybe mine are too shaded or sunned)? Also, could it just be that my grafts are too young and the variegation is masked (like 'Peve multicolor' and 'Higasayama' sometimes do as young plants).

Any information is appreciated. I found an older thread regarding this cultivar, but I was not able to reply to it because the thread was too old.

Brian

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Brian,

I am not growing that one, is it the only variegated shirasawanum around?

As you know there are different origins for variegation and depending on the one producing 'Sonya Marie's you may or may not have a chance. I know this is not of much help but, unless someone else has more pertinent information, you may have to wait another season or two before making a final decision.

By the way you can always reply to old posts by clicking a box, in the bottom right, which asks you to confirm that you really want to reply to that old post.

Cheers

Gomero

3. Castor

Castor Active Member

hey Brian

I have had a ‘Sonya Marie’ for four years now.I haven’t seen any variegation on it,and it’s an extremely slow grower.

4. Castor

Castor Active Member

A3695F94-AE60-4F77-A410-1F7D3BDC27EB.jpeg D1D85C61-61A8-418F-9607-D6C33EAD0946.jpeg Planted my Sonya Marie in the ground this year and I see some variegation this year...

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Castor good evening, this is what this cultivar is known for. But I believe the varigation is rather unstable. Time will tell, but is looking good atm Do post updates over the coming weeks.