Shidiva gold or Summer gold

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi, does anybody have experience with Shidiva gold and Summer gold? Is there any preference for either cultivar and why?
    I am looking at buying one of these this year and would like to know strengths and weaknesses for both. Any views appreciated.

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Out of the two the Summer gold is far the better cultivar had mine from a small graft for about 7 years now , planted out in full sun and it seems to cope quite well and is growing quite happily in both height and width ,nice spring colours with a nice red edging on the new leaf then showing decent fall colours as well added some pics.The Shidava gold is just a smaller version of the Aoyagi , same traits same branch and leaf colours but on a smaller framed tree , still a nice tree but the summer gold gives you more to look at imho, do have some pics of shidava but just cant' remember where i have put them , will post later!!

Attached Files:

3. ROEBUK

Found it, in the viridis section of course ??

4. ROEBUK

Helps if i up load it first it's late!!!

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

Hi ROEBUK, thank you so much for your reply. The photos you sent show two wonderful varieties. But it appears you feel that Summer Gold is the better maple. The colours also do look a little more vivid. The branch colour on Shidiva Gold make it a very tempting cultivar. I see you have both. Don't think I can get two past my wife, lol Thanks again. PS hope you do another tube video.

6. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

Hi, I agree with Roebuk. I'll try to upload photo of my Summergold in fall.
    Some leaves turn colour before the whole thing goes.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Thanks Ken. Votes are 2/0 at the moment in favour of Summer Gold. Is yours mixed in with another cultivar? They look good together!!

8. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

No, not mixed. This is how it turns in the fall. Patches of bright red with the gold.

9. Acerholic

Oh I see, still very nice, thanks for letting me know.

10. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Thought you might like to see this

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

That's the lovely stems of Shidiva Gold I believe. Bet your looking forward to it leafing out soon. Looks a nice size acquisition!! Amazing Maples got my interest in this Cultivar. He's just done his first UTube videos of 2020 btw. Always the beginning of Spring when they start.
    Thanks for posting it. Think that's 2/1 then!!!?

12. Luke’s Maples

Hi Acerholic. Yes you are correct. I have already watched Charlie's first 2 videos of the year haha. Yes I think its 2/1, however I do not own Summer Gold so not such a fair vote. I like the look of both but I love the bright green of Aoyagi and that combined with the compact shape of Shidiva made it a winner for me. It will look ace next to my new Skeeters Broom!

13. Acerholic

Hi Luke, next to Skeeters broom it will look fantastic. It's one of the maples that is under appreciated imo.Think I might end up getting both!!!

14. Luke’s Maples

Thanks, I cant wait. To be honest I have been a bit compulsive over winter and have so many new trees that I have never seen before that I almost feel overwhelmed.

15. Acerholic

It is a compulsive hobby. But a wonderfull one.