Shady raised garden bed sun-reflecting ideas?!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by missvimi, May 22, 2015.

1. missvimi

missvimi New Member

I planted my seeds a few weeks ago with little germination. The soil has been well-amended, watered and covered with lightweight fabric (to keep away critters that like to eat fresh seeds). My site gets no morning sun but gets afternoon sun (not ideal, I know). I have considered painting the fence behind the garden white but I cannot achieve this goal without stepping all over my planted seeds. I know should have thought of remedying this before planting but it is what it is. Your thoughts and ideas to maximize my sunlight are appreciated!

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

send a picture of your dilemma….

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    basic question - were your seeds good quality brand name - and fresh? (ie packaged for 2015) - if not, that might be a reason for low germination

i have a shade garden near the coast - and my seeds germinate well - I use West Coast or Stokes or Pacific (from Vernon, BC)

if you need reflection - go and get a couple of automobile windshield sun shade things - they have foil on one side - they are at the dollar store or TBS.

post a photo on this thread so we can see what exactly you're describing - or has everything worked out with the recent hot weather?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Did you read on the packet how long it is expected to take for them to come up (you do not say here what kind of seeds they are)?

5. Georgia Strait

... good point Ron B

and also - some seeds need light to germinate
    others of course are supposed to be covered.

I notice that some seed packets do not say covered or light, depth etc - today's instructions seem pretty generic.

however, I often refer to the Stokes website for detailed instructions as I don't seed very often and forget unless I look up again.

6. missvimi

missvimi New Member

My seeds are West Coast Seeds and mostly 2014/15. One pack is from 2011 (bought in 2014 and did not read date). I have carrots, scallions, lettuce, kale, beets, peas, spinach and fennel. The peas have just begun to sprout through the surface of the soil. I planted all the seeds 5 weeks ago. I see some germination among the seeds but I cannot tell if they are weeds or seedlings at this point - as the growth is not exactly uniform. Some packets say 2-3 weeks or 10-14 days for germination and 60-75% for germination rates. The cover I used allowed light, water and air to penetrate as it was very light and protected for insects only. I have checked many websites for further information and I can only see lack of sunlight as my main issue - unless my two landscape plants are taking up nutrients?

My camera cord is missing so I cannot upload photos at this moment but the bed is 3' x 60' with 2 stationed trees and 2 landscaping plants (boxwood, I think), controlled mint in its far corner and set in the east of the backyard.

I will look into all of your suggestions....thank you. :)

7. Georgia Strait

I like West Coast Seeds - they are readily available where I shop in a small town - and also mailorder - and I trust what they are offering

so - to give you an idea - I had sunflower seeds from WC Seeds for 2014 or maybe earlier - and those seeds have not germinated - so I think it varies by species. I have learned and will now make sure I have fresh sunflower seeds from them.

I always soak my pea seeds - did you? that helps - and then sprout them and then plant them out. I gave some to my neighbor at the coast - and I saw them this past long wkd and they look great! (the organic oregon sugar pod from WC Seeds - in fact old seed)

i remember when my elder family gardened commercially (small family farm nr Vcvr) - we'd have these pink-dyed pea seeds (and beans I think too) - that were some sort of deterrent - for birds? I am not sure. The seeds were for sure from Stokes in Ontario. I wonder what that pink coating really was - could have been harmless, could be horrifying - not sure.

re: your photos - yes, it would help discussion - i hope you can post some soon.

8. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I order seeds from Stokes almost every year. The pink coating on some of the seeds is a fungicide applied to improve seedling survival in cold and wet conditions. I prefer the treated pea seeds to untreated ones because I plant them pretty early, February or March. I've had survival rates of 0% with some untreated seeds.