Shade but for the hot sun.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Deborah Sanders, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Deborah Sanders

Deborah Sanders Member

Because of tree cover I have an issue. Generally shady morning until 1pm thru 230pm ish. Then full sun then back to shade. This means my shade plants burn and my sun plants don't do much. Looking for a small 8ft ish tree that is open allowing dappled light through. It must tolerate hot sun yet be ok with bright shade. Perhaps j. Maple or ???

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon Deborah, can I just say that full afternoon hot sun is not what a Japanese Maple would like at all. But how about a Cherry. The Mount Fuji is a spreading tree that will, give a lot of dappled light and give wonderful blossom at this time of the year. It gets a bit higher than 8ft, but can be pruned to keep it lower.

3. Deborah Sanders

Deborah Sanders Member

Thanks, perhaps I might look at some dwarfs. There used to be a that died. Forgot to mention it is on a short but steep hill making regular pruning a yoga work out.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Lol, that does conjure up quite a picture. But don't get put off, every bit of work put into a tree brings great rewards.