Several Haworthias for ID

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Natalie M., Aug 27, 2009.

1. Natalie M.

Natalie M. Active Member

I went to a new local nursery today and found that they had a very large selection of Haworthias, so I couldn't resist buying a few... Or eight...

The labels are confusing; some of them I can't find much info on so I was wondering if anyone on here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Plant 1 - labeled as "Haworthia species". Almost looks like a hybrid of H. attenuata and H. nigra? I don't know if such a plant exists.

Plant 2 - also labeled as "Haworthia species". Resembles H. venosa.

Plant 3 - labeled as Haworthia maughanii x dielsiana. Perhaps a hybrid of H. truncata var. maughanii and H. cooperi var. dielsiana? Those are the only plants I could find that contain "maughanii" and "dielsiana", anyway.

Plant 4 - labeled as Haworthia whitesloaneana. The only similar thing I could find name-wise was this "Haworthia schultiana var. whitesloaneana", which resembles my plant but has much spindlier leaves.

Plant 5 - labeled as Haworthia rodinii. No clue on this one.

Plant 6 - I bought this one on eBay a couple years ago, and I've forgotten what it is. I think it was called Haworthia hybrid "Big Dick" or something along those lines. I just bought it because the middle-schooler in me thought the name was amusing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files:

2. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Haworthias are tricky to ID. :D (so take these IDs lightly)

For a first look-around, I'll say:

First one seems like some H. venosa ssp. venosa I've seen.

2nd one, yes, looks like H. venosa ssp. tessellata.

3rd could be a hybrid between the 2 you say(H. t. v. m. x H. c. v. d.). The coloring reminds me of one they call 'Lime Green', or maybe yours is a variegated type.

4th looks like some H. emelyae v. major I've seen.

5th, H. rodinii is a synonym of H. turgida v. turgida...but that doesn't look like it to me. It looks familiar, but I can't place it.

6th I've heard of xGasteraloe (xGastrolea) 'Big Dick', but not any Haworthia. Don't know this one.

Sorry - not much help. :(

3. Natalie M.

Natalie M. Active Member

Thanks so much for the reply! I was clueless on a lot of them... Now I at least have somewhere to start when I look them up. I think it's about time I get one of those Haworthia books so I can be a bit more educated when I make purchases.