Server up and running

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

As you can tell, the server is up and running, and everything should be in working order again (and hopefully faster than the past week).

If not, please reply and let me know.

Anyway, for those of you who are serious techies, the problem occurred at a deep layer on the server when I tried to install an update to the server software. We had to eliminate problems layer by layer - first of all, we quickly checked vBulletin. Then, one step deeper, the web server (Apache). Then another step deeper, PHP. The problem that we couldn't resolve occurred at a level below that, where Apache works with the hardware on a fundamental level (i.e., using machine-code instead of human-readable programming languages).

I now have to plan the purchase of another server, as down-times and flakiness like this can be avoided if one has an alternate working server, i.e., update one, if everything works, update the other - if not, you still have one working server which you can use while you patch the other one.

Thanks for your kind patience,
    Daniel

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd say it is up and walking, rather than up and running - seems a bit slow to me, tho' not too bad

4. Daniel Mosquin

Hmm. That wasn't my experience with it, and I do note it being a bit faster. I haven't done any sort of caching on the web server, so there are likely some optimizations that can take place yet.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Let me know what you think now - I've moved the gigabyte+ of attachments out of the database into the file system, shrinking the database size by over 90%. That ought to be worth some improvement overall.