Server down for 29 hours...

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks to an early (and heavy) snowfall in Vancouver, snow-laden trees broke powerlines supplying the UBC campus somewhere around 3 AM local time on November 27. No power, no functioning web server! When power was restored yesterday at 5 PM, the server also didn't restart automatically as it should. It had to wait to be restarted manually, so that's why the web site came back online today at 8 AM.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

tha agony was distressing Daniel. :) thanks for fixing it back up!

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Had wondered after reading the post about the forecast bad weather for Vancouver, if the disappearance was something to do with it.

So, what species of tree was responsible for downing the lines?

12°C over here today, no hint of anything cold in the forecast.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's a good question about the species of tree. I don't know, but I did observe a few things on my way in to work yesterday (though the campus was closed, there were some meetings that had to be convened):

An ornamental cherry tree that dropped all of its major limbs in a circular fashion around the trunk - as if someone lopped off each of time and they'd fallen straight to the ground, leaving an ugly flagpole in the middle.

A number of broken and bent red alders.

A couple conifers that had fallen across the street - I didn't catch the species, though, as I had eyes on the road driving on ice.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tch! Some horticulturist! Since when is keeping your eyes on the road more importnt than looking at trees?!

6. jimmyq

HA! thanks Ron, I thought I was the only one that looked at trees while driving. my wife loves to holler at me about it.

7. haul0348

haul0348 Member

We havent started our winter season here in tn yet but i bet it is no where near as bad as what you have up there. Hey jimmyg were is burnaby?

8. jimmyq

burnaby is near vancouver BC Canada.