Selenicereus megalanthus (Yellow Pitaya) - How to Train?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Junglekeeper, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The plants are currently trained up a 3' trellis that's topped with horizontal framework. I ended up with an unruly mass (or should I say mess) of growth on top of the frame.

I'm thinking of replacing this with 2-4 stems trained up a single 5-6' pole. The pole could be a 2x2 wrapped with chicken wire which would provide something for the aerial roots to latch onto. The stems will be kept trimmed to the height of the pole; this should encourage branching which the plant is not inclined to do naturally.

I would welcome any comments or suggestions, particularly from people who have experience with this plant or with Hylocereus undatus, Dragon Fruit. I would like to end up with a low maintenance setup.

2. Les

Les Member

Good idea to wrap burlap around the chicken wire. This will absorb nutrients that you can spray on and provides a better surface (more akin to tree bark in its native habitat) that roots can attach to.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Hi, Les. Yours is an excellent idea. If the project was still on the books I would make use of it. I ended up cutting up the whole prickly mess and discarding it; it wasn't worth the trouble and was taking up too much valuable space. I've bought new (and more worthwhile) plants to fill up that space and more. Thanks anyway.