Seiryu Seedlings

Discussion in 'Maples' started by seagonus, Mar 28, 2007.

1. seagonus

seagonus Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for the tips!

I have (what I think is an atropurpureum of some sort) growing 40 feet away, and a small red crooked laceleaf variety growing under the Seiryu, and then the large old Seiryu in the back. No seedlings under any of the others.

Cheers

2. seagonus

Regarding Alex's request for a seedling. I have no use for a Nugundo(sp?) and would not know how to ship a seedling overseas--or what the cost would be for such and undertaking.

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

ok Seagonus I adopt to distance your Seiryu [*-*] acer Negundo is for you ,if you go in Rome!!alex (°-°)

4. seagonus

Follow up to my 2006 post!

I now have a 4 foot tall offspring from one of my old Seiryu's in the yard. After transplanting a 3 inch tall seedling and it looking like nothing for 2 years--last year the thing sprouted incredibly from a small slim twig that was 18 inches tall (that almost got run over by the lawn mower) to something resembling a mini-tree!

The new seedling does not resemble the parent at all? Leaves are very different (will post pics) is this unusual or common for immature trees to look different from parent??? Pretty excited about growing a seedling from my original tree. I also have 4-5 little seedlings growing under the large Seiryu in the front that I was going to rip out--I might just transplant them now seeing as they seem to be surviving.

5. seagonus

Update: It's been 5 years and the seedling Seiryu is growing really well. About 5 feet tall and as thick as my thumb. Only problem is my careless dad cut the top off about 2 years ago when he was helping me trim the yard. I'll post pics if I remember.

Leaves are unlike the mature Seriyu in my yard. They are more broad and not as lace-like. Is this normal?

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

maybe over fertilize!

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well. it's very common that children only vaguely resemble the mother (and more so for the father, I've been told... ;)) So I consider it completely normal that the new tree is different. That's part of the fun.

Also I find it typical that it take a while -- even a couple of years -- for a newly planted maple to get its roots under it, before it starts putting on rapid growth.

Thanks for the update!

-E

8. seagonus

This one took about 3 years and then just accelerated in the 4th year. It is really growing fast now. The only thing that is really sad is dad cut the top off it way back and it is growing all weird. I have no idea how to train or prune it, but it is growing crooked as well. Part of the appeal I guess. I thought Seiryu seedlings always grew true to the parent?? I am wondering if the leaves are just immature???

9. seagonus

I'll post some pics of them later today.