Seeking: Black Locust - Frisia

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by DavidB52, May 3, 2021.

1. DavidB52

DavidB52 Active Member

Hello, forum members.

I am looking for young trees (1 - 2 years old), or seeds, of the Black Locust tree, specifically the Frisia cultivar.

Most nurseries don't carry this tree.

The trees grow around the Lower Mainland but--very important--I want to know for sure what cultivar I am getting. If you've ever checked out my blog, you'll know I like to document my growing activities, and that means keeping track of exactly what type of tree is growing.

So, if anybody here can suggest a source for these seeds, or young trees, and the strain is known with certainty, I would appreciate the suggestions.

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I remember reading within the past year or two on these Forums that many Robinia pseudoacacia 'Frisia' trees were not doing well on the Lower Mainland. So far, I've haven't been successful finding that thread. IF it is true that could explain why nurseries may not be carrying them.

Keep in mind that if you grow one from seed, you cannot be sure exactly what you have because the resulting tree could be a cross between 'Frisia' and an ordinary Robinia.

For what it's worth, I cut down the young one I was growing in Burnaby about 20 years ago because it kept getting attacked by some kind of leaf roller insect.

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Here are a couple (of many) websites that may indicate why Robinia pseudoacacia 'Frisia' may have fallen out of favour in the nursery trade.

A Love Affair Gone Awry – Why I Won't Plant Robinia Pseudocacia In My Garden Again

Robinia pseudoacacia ‘Frisia’ problems

Problems: Borers, caterpillars, weevils, scale insects, whiteflies, leaf miners, leaf spots, wood rot, canker, powdery mildew, heart rot, and Verticillium wilt can be troublesome. Suckers may be a problem.

Here in mid-Vancouver Island, the few R. pseudoacacia 'Frisia' I see look to be doing well and I know of 2 or 3 gardeners who are happy with their R. pseudoacacia 'Twisty Baby' trees.