: ) seeds you have, and seeds you want...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, May 11, 2009.

1. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Its more of a drizzle here, but its still rain, none the less and we so badly needed it.

I'm just glad i wont have to water today, let mother nature do it for me,

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

By the way...

Don't you ever notice how amazing the plants grow out in the garden, after a good rain? There's minerals in the rain that fertilizers don't hold a candle to.

: )

3. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, I love the rain too, because I don't have to water or fertilize. We are getting a good downpour - not just drizzle.

4. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

It was so nice in London on Saturday, i even did some weeding for the kids.

I would need a good solid day to get them where i would like them to be,

5. robv187

robv187 Member

Hey everyone, sorry i haven't really been on lately, college has been busy. It's funny you would both mention rain lol, well i'm in brantford right now, kind of like a drizzle here too, but i was just thinking to myself we needed this rain badly. It's been about 2 weeks without even a drop.

HBL, how is your plumeria doing? Good I hope, please remember to update us all on your beautiful plant. Congratulations on your new garden by the way, take some pictures :)

Claudia, how are you?? Did you do some gardening yet with your new seeds?

I feel bad to say i still haven't gone to the post office yet, how ever in the next 2 hours i'll be mailing of several seeds to people. Hopefully Katalina's palm tree seeds have come in now.

6. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Hiya Rob,

Good to see you....i have you in mind for a few more "surprise" seeds too.

7. robv187

robv187 Member

Nice being able to chat with you too penny, that sounds great by the way, really excited :D

I'll post lots of new seeds out to you later today. I have the one tiny tim tomato sprout too btw, but i'm worried it won't survive. It's height is about 1.5 inches, and it has it's two fake leaves, but it hasnt really grown in 3 days, i've given it sun and water, not to sure what else i can do for it. HBL made a good point that they are very common in seeds and i can always retry and learn, but it would make me so happy to be successful.

8. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Do you still have seeds for that one?
    If not i can pop some more into the mail for you.

Its hard to say, it might be ok, just make sure to keep checking the soil so it doesnt dry out and keep it in the sun, especially now.

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, Rob, follow Penny's advice, and things should be ok with your tomato seedling.

Well, the Plumeria is doing just great. No roots or growth yet, but this is normal, and Bob tellls me to just be patient and wait, wait, wait...

and then wait some more!

I know cuttings can take awhile - I have a lilac cutting that took just over two months to root and show top growth! It is wonderful now though, because I have my own lilac shrub!

I will definitely show pics though as the Plumeria progresses. It spends it's nights on my warm heat mat, and it's days in the warm, half sunny window. I mist it a lot too. That thing is one of my most prized plants, and I am treating it like gold.

I will show pics of my new garden soon - a few more things to do yet. There's no gating around it or anything, and no soil amendments have taken place yet, so it's just the bare basics, but the hard work is done!!! I am so pleased with myself. Now the fun part - burying loads and loads of bulbs!

: O

Ok, now it's drizzling here - want some more rain so I can get my buckets filled up...

P.S. Penny - did you get your banana plants yet? Mine are all growing now! Yippeeeeee!

10. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

Hi Rob, how are u? so nice to hear from u :) No i havent plant the seeds :( About the rain water, i want to make a home rain barrel cause rain water is good for aquarium tanks, i didnt know that it was good for plants, i was thinking on my fish tanks but i guess now i have to b making maybe 2 barrels? lol The other day i water my plants with culligan water, the bottle had a leak so i had to take it out of the water dispenser and i used it for my plants, i also use it for the venus fly trap plant..i was told when i bought it not to water it with regular water

11. The Hollyberry Lady

That's right Claudia, because Venus Flytrap does not like the chlorine found in tap water, and in fact it can kill it!

You are wise to use purified water on it. I am sure it appreciates it.

Rain water good for plants? Are you kidding me?!!! Just try it for yourself, and you will see. I can only usually gather enough to water a few plants, but I alternate so every plant gets some eventually, to give it a power boost. It is truly liquid magic.

12. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Your seeds came today Sherry, and as usual, you spoiled me and sent me a great assortment of things~~!
    Thank you so much for everything,

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh I am so glad you like them, Penny. Those marigolds are truly special. Hope you'll get some Goji Berry shrubs going for your grounds next season - they're perennial.

Enjoy!

14. robv187

robv187 Member

HBL and Penny, just got back from the post office, I sent you both some different varieties of seeds.

Most of them are random and a surprise, hbl I also sent you the 6 japanese magnolia tree seeds, and the 5 dwarf pink banana, you're a lot more capable of getting them to sprout then I am, all i ask is if you can get one of each to sprout that you could send it back lol, everything else I sent you is 110 % yours and a gift from me. Note I only would need one sprout of each, please keep all the other seeds for yourself.

I posted them out by regular mail, so the lady estimates 2-3 days for arrival :)

Btw penny, thank you so much for offering more tiny tim tomato seeds, but i only used two so far. They both sprouted for me which made me happy, but the one had a really thin stem so I ended up pulling it out. The one I have now seems to be struggling a bit, but i'll keep my fingers crossed.

15. The Hollyberry Lady

That's super Rob - thanks for the seeds! Looking forward to them. I have the pink banana seeds myself but I will try to sprout yours. Banana seeds are difficult to germinate and even sometimes experienced seed sprouters can't get them to sprout - so I hope you won't blame me if I fail, but I will give it my all.

I have heard stories about eBay ordered seeds, that were not good. like sometimes the seeds are super old, or not what they are claimed to be. Hopefully this isn't the case though, and I will definitely mail you back what you want from the seedlings, ok'? Thanks for giving me the extras - maybe I can share them with others too.

Was it you that was going to get Venus Flytrap seeds, or was that Claudia? I forget.

If any one is interested in seeds for this awesome beauty when I mail to ya next, let me know...

I have been growing this pretty houseplant for 6 years now, and the seeds are found inside the 'cherries' and I always have lots.

It is called Solanum Pseudocapsicum or 'Jerusalem Cherry' or 'Christmas Cherry'. It is a beautiful houseplant that used to be extremely popular in the 70's. If you watch old 'Three's Company' re-runs, you'll see lots of Jerusalem Cherry plants around. They are truly spectacular.

They are poisonous houseplants, but then again, so is Poinsetta and a number of others. It develops fruit throughout summer and they ripen into the Fall, and last well into Winter. An extremely ornamental plant, that is very charming to have around.

Here are my three seed-grown JC's that are full of pretty balls. I have one in my living room window, one in my kitchen window, and one in my bathroom window. I positioned them altogether, so I could get a shot of all three plants. It's a dark, rainy day, so the pics aren't as clear as I would have like, but here they are...

The last shot shows the blossoms up close. When they die and fall, they leave behind a green 'cherry' that grow and ripens through shades of yellow, orange, and red. So pretty.

I usually include seeds for JC as complimentary, in my seed trades. People really enjoy it.

Attached Files:

16. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Thank you very much Rob, i will be mailing some things off to you in the next few days too.

I too have faith that Sherry will get them to sprout for you, and the pink banana plant is so cute, i remember Sherry posting pics of what it will look like.

No banana plants here today.

17. robv187

robv187 Member

No problem at all, it makes me happy sharing things with friends. If you aren't able to sprout them, no worries HBL, if you can't do it i definately can't LOL, i appreciate the effort.

That would be me, i like venus fly traps but they prefer a bog like soil and i'm not too experienced in it, i might just buy a venus fly trap from my grocery store here. I sent you all of the seeds, i think 25 to be exact, i know its something you wanted lol and one of the sellers had it for sale so I thought why not.

You're welcome Penny, hope you'll like them :)

Let me know when the package arrives, hopefully be thursday or friday.

18. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I will for sure and much appreicated.

If you find that you need more seeds for the tomatoes, just let me know.
    I had to take out the last of my tomato plants yesturday, after the frost we got over the weekend, they were beyond done, so i now have more seeds drying,

19. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I bought one at lowes right before they were all taken and it's doing great out on my shady, north-facing windowsill. I haven't watered it for a few weeks before this after noon and nothing wrong with it in the slightest. I bought some sphagnum moss (also at lowes) and stuffed some into one of those extra-super-small peanut butter plastic jars I had lying around. The plastic maskes it nice to see the water level and I'm able to leave a good inch or so in the base of the jar.

20. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

I got the venus fly plant as a plant from a store close by. I got today in the mail the purple corn yeeeeeesssss lol Oh thos tomato pics look so yummy lol u guys are so good are gardening. I am a recyling freak in a way i guess, like i said i wanted to recycle water for my fish tanks but now i will b needing more barrels so i can water my plants too mmmm i was just checking on my compost too, i got worm compost, worms for my fish and compost for my plants :)

21. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

I also took some seeds from green and red pepper...they are drying, now i just need to learn how to plant them lol

22. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Pepper seeds germinate easily, Claudia! ;)

Stick 'em in the ground down till your finger nail is half in and cover with dirt. Keep it moist with a spray bottle and you should have a sprout in no time at all.

Yummy!

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow Rob - thanks so much!

I want to mail you more seeds as well. Is there anything you are interested in that you think I might have? If not, I will surprise you with some real goodies. Are you interested in flowers, herbs, or veggies?

Do you like my Jerusalem Cherry plant, above? I can include seeds for it if you like. It is easy to grow, loves to be pruned, and can live year in and year out!

Can't wait to see what ya sent me. How very kind of you. You will be well rewarded, believe me. I love it that I have so many seed trading friends. How cool.

I sure hope none of you took offense to what I said about paying the postage, before. This does not apply to any of you - my seed trading pals. I am referring to people who just want something of mine, but have nothing to offer in return, and I have never traded with them. Hope you're all clear. It's not to be mean, but I am consistently sought after for my seed and plant collection, that it is not reasonable for me take care of all the postage all of the time.

Also too, if anyone needs to ask me to pay the postage and thinks they're spending way too much to mail things to me, please feel free to ask me for postage as well. I am very fair and reasonable, so not to worry.

Like ShearMe for instance, who recently spent 23 bucks to mail a banana plant that he bought from the nursery!

I know I've mentioned it before, but it's so worth repeating, because of how sweet it was. There are others too, but ShearMe's a little younger than my nephew, and he is really a great young man - and smart as a whip too. His parents should be real proud of him. Very nice to see your mystery banana plant is pushing up it's first new leaf, Zac! I am happy to have it. Thank you again, my friend. ShearMe and I are seed traders from way back. Even now, we are in the process of trading succulent varieties.

Sorry to hear those darn banana plants aren't there yet, Penny! I've been through this, where you wonder are they ever coming. Not to worry - they will show up...

24. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

Oh thank you, good to know :) i will b starting soon well as soon as i get some time lol

25. The Hollyberry Lady

A seed trading friend that I found on the internet, sent me an email today and told me this...

Sounds pretty cool, huh? - especially the figs! Have to google the others because I am not sure what they are just yet. Pretty exciting.

Oh yeah, the best part...

Bob and I chat pretty much daily in pm's and today he informed me that he will be mailing me a California Gold banana plant in the Spring - says they are perfect for my area and that they produce banana fruits within a year!!!!!

I nearly fell off the chair as I read it. He's the guy that sent me the Plumeria and the Siam Ruby banana. We will be trading regularily and this guy has some cool stuff. He is one heck of a gardener. So grateful to him, and he to me, apparently. I give him my very best seeds because of what he has sent me that would cost an absolute fortune to buy! The siam ruby for instance, is 90 bucks!

I am looking forward to those Fig cuttings too! I was going to buy a fig tree, so this will save me the trouble.