seedlings

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Borg, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Borg

Borg Member

this year I started a number of different seed trays in my kitchen next to a window.
    Once they had germinated I removed the plastic dome and now they seem to be getting very leggy....as though they are getting too much light???
    I'm wondering whether I should move the trays to my garage where the temp will be conssiderably lower???.....or keep them in the kitchen but away from the window???
    Also I'm wondering whether I should just select the strongest looking shoot in each capsule and remove the rest???
    Any advice would be most appreciated
    Thank you

2. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Legginess usually indicates too little light, not too much, and inadequate light is the most common problem when people start seeds. Even the light from brightest window can be barely adequate or inadequate for starting seeds; if you happen to have a light meter, just compare it to outdoor light, and you'll see what I'm saying; even shade outdoors can have higher light intensity than a window indoors. A proper fluorescent lights setup can be vastly superior to a windowsill for starting seeds - if one gets serious about starting seeds, a good light setup is really a necessity.

Living where you do, I imagine your seedlings could probably be planted out before too long? (When I say that, I mean your average last frost date may be soon, or perhaps has already gone by?) If so, then you can save the seedlings by planting them out, after hardening them off (that is, accustoming them to sunlight). (Hardening off is essential, as killing seedlings by sunburn is probably the second or third most common reason that people fail at starting seeds.)

3. Borg

Borg Member

Thank you for that. When hardening off what exactly is the procedure?...is it so many hrs outside a few days and bring back in before planting outside for good?
    Thanks

4. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

How you harden off your seedlings would depend on whether or not it's still freezing at night where you live. If overnight temps stay safely above zero, then you could just take your trays of seedlings and set them outside in shade, and then plant them out after 4-5 days. (This works because, as I mentioned, light intensity even in the shade outdoors is higher than in a sunny window indoors.) There's no need to haul the trays in and out, so long as there is no danger of freezing.
    If it's still freezing outdoors (I expect it isn't but I don't monitor the weather in your area!), then wait until after your last frost to do the same.