Seed Suggestions for hanging baskets for coming spring

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by jacksparrow, Dec 15, 2007.

1. jacksparrow

jacksparrow Active Member

I bought these two hanging baskets during the spring, and they flowered ever so well right up to fall. I lost the tags for them, so am not able to tell if they will come back. I know there are some petunias in there
    [​IMG]
    If I was to sow my own seeds for next spring using those baskets, what flowers would you recommend that are of a similar ilk? Also would it be safe to start the seeds in in Feb down in the basement under grow lights?
    Cheers
    PS: What shrub is this below, and I need some climber suggestions for that wall, that will attract hummers and go all the way up. Perennials and annuals welcome, but no ivy please
    [​IMG]

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Some thoughts, mr. sparrow, having done what you're thinking of...

Petunias and looks like lobelia (cascading types) are possible to start under growlights, and yes February might be a good time. Seeds are very small and therefore need more expertise than some other types, but do-able if you have some experience.

The really effective petunias in baskets seem to be the "wave" types, which cascade and totally cover in bloom thru the summer. I've heard of people trying to sow seeds they've collected off old plants, otherwise I'm fairly sure these are patented or something similar and should be purchased.

Not such a bad thing, tho, in my case the best value was to buy "basket stuffers" which often sell quite cheap in say April. Make up the baskets and grow them on yourself in a bright warm area if you have one...works out quite a bit cheaper than buying the ready to set out basket in May.

To summarize--tho I'm a plant geek and love to start things myself, I think the best investment is in buying pre-started little things and finishing them in your baskets for a month or so before setting out.

BTW, the lobelia is pretty short-lived here in temperate west coast, probably even shorter in Ontario's hotter summers. Kinda gives up once the heat starts, too bad, the blue colour is hard to duplicate.

Bacopa is another nice stuffer, trailing and blooms all season.