Seed stratification methods

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Al Chomica, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Al Chomica

Al Chomica New Member

I operate a small business on Vancouver Island where I propagate plants of worth. Many get started off from seed and many of my best sellers are seeds that are normally stratified in the fridge for several months before being seeded. These include Sichuan Peppercorn, Stone Pine, Flying Dragon Orange, Angelica gigas and Paw Paws.

The problem with some of these periods of stratification is that the seeds can sprout out of sync with the season. For example, my seeds from 2018 were stratified from Nov 2018 to March 2019 when they were deeply sown into a long pot. The seeds did not sprout very quickly but sat in the pot until July before they poked out of the soil. And then they grew very slowly from August to September when I brought them into the house under grow lights. Now they are quickly growing and are putting on an inch of vibrant leaf growth every couple days but they really should be planted in the ground instead of overwintering in a house under lights.

My question is if anyone has heard of a method to coax the seeds into sprouting without waiting for so many months? I'm about to run experiments with the multitude of seeds I have this year and am considering soaking in Pyroligneous Acid (wood vinegar) at varying lengths of time to see if the dorman coat can be broken down any quicker.

Any references would be appreciated...

2. Partelow

Partelow New Member

Seeds of Woody Plants in North America by James and Cheryl Young, a great deal of information about native and non-native plants, including germination characteristics.
    Unfortunately, I have no silver bullet to offer you to induce germination. Scarification and acid treatments work up to a point. If species are used in forestry or environmental remediation there will exist a sure method of breaking dormancy. I have struggled for years to germinate acer griseum. One year they spontaneously germinated all over my garden. But nothing before or since. What was there about that one year? Anyways, I will continue to watch this thread and I hope some members will contribute their ideas on germination.

3. Al Chomica

Al Chomica New Member

Tomorrow will be the first week of soaking Paw Paw seeds in various mixtures that will hopefully induce germination. I might also try to nick the sides of a couple seeds in this experiment when I sow them. I was successful in getting some 30 year old Baobab seeds to sprout this way last year. Acer griseum? Nice trees. A place down the road called, Pacific Shores Nature Reserve has many of these gorgeous trees gracing the property that I have taken seed from. None of them ever sprouted so I can relate to your efforts. I'm going by there today and may just collect a few winged seeds to experiment with...