Seed identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by hippobroma, May 5, 2008.

1. hippobroma

hippobroma Member

I found a seed pod in January, growing on a long stalk, like a lily seed pod. It was about the size of a small golf ball, with six sections. I kept it in a saucer with water and in April it turned yellow so I opened it up. Inside were more than 80 seeds compressed in a random pattern like a pomegranate, but without the bitter membranes between the seeds. The seeds are arils, like a pomegranate. The flavour in general of the seed pod was sweet, although I didn't taste any further.

I removed the seeds which were serrated, planted them the other day, and I hope some will come up so that I can identify the plant.

The pod came from Palmerston Island in the South Pacific. Here is a link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ice-of-paradise-with-a-West-Country-lilt.html

Any help in identifying the plant would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Do you have any photos of the plant itself, or just the seedpod? Can you describe the plant?

3. hippobroma

hippobroma Member

No, sorry I don't. It was just the seed pod on a thin stalk about a foot long and I didn't notice any others although there were probably more. The atoll is small and the soil is mosly coral sand although there were a few citrus trees and mahogany trees, clumps of grass, some Ixora shrubs, Zephyranthes, and other small vegetation in the interior, where the soil contained some bark. On the shores of the atoll it was mostly coconut palms. We were on a conducted walk through the atoll so I didn't really have time to have a good look around.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Thing is, it looks really familiar but I'm right stumped.