British Columbia: Seed Exchange Questions

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Workshops, Events, and Societies' started by Saw Scale, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Saw Scale

Saw Scale New Member

Hi,

I've never been to a seed exchange, and this year for the first time have produced far more seeds than I will need for next spring. So I was wondering exactly how a typical seed exchange operates? Also, I've been lead to believe that they happen mainly in the spring. I've started to package up the excess seeds and realized I will have dozens (and dozens, if not more) of packages of various types. Would a person typically pay a fee to have a table to give away seeds freely? I'm not looking to make any money from this, but would prefer not to lose any either. Anyway, if someone in here could give me a rough idea of how a seed exchange works I would very much appreciate it.

Saw Scale

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

I guess it depends on the exchange; at Seedy Saturdays (the most ubiquitous ones) you bring any seeds you've got, sometimes pay an entrance fee, sometimes not, and find the seed exchange area where you can swap away for no additional charge. This is usually a table somewhere, or a separate room, exclusively devoted to seeds up for swapping. They usually have pre-printed seed packs for you to fill and label.These events also host a number of vendors, who pay a fee for their booth space and aren't there to swap, but sell, and the entry fee gets you access to these as well. But as an individual looking to swap, it's usually just the entrance fee.

If you feel you have enough seed to sell, then you need to contact the organizers (usually early, like in the fall) and apply for a booth space. The cost for this varies: at some events, it can run over $100. At some, it's free or cheap.

3. Saw Scale

Saw Scale New Member

Thanks Woodschmoe,

I guess I'll just have to keep looking for a seed exchange around here, they do seem rare though. Additionally, spring seems like a strange time to hold the events. Don't most people start to germinate in March? Again, thanks for the response, I appreciate you taking the time.

Saw Scale

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Check with your local garden club. I think that many of them have seeds to exchange. I have seen a couple of different systems that keep members swapping material.

5. Saw Scale

Saw Scale New Member

Cool, how/where do I find my "local garden club"? I had no idea such an animal existed. I live in Burnaby, but can easily move around the lower mainland. Thanks for the "heads up".

Saw Scale

procuttreeservice likes this.
  6. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Here's a link to the BC Council of Garden Clubs, there's quite a few members:

http://www.bcgardenclubs.com/membership.html

There may be some others in your area that are not members of the Council. Look in the "events" section of your local paper for meetings or ask at the garden centres. Garden clubs can be fun & you end up with all kinds of odd things that you would not otherwise have.

7. Saw Scale

Saw Scale New Member

Thanks Lysichiton,

Bookmarked for future use, most appreciated!

Saw Scale