Schefflera wilting

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by NancyIbrahim, Aug 7, 2018.

1. NancyIbrahim

NancyIbrahim New Member

hello,
    I have several scheffleras indoors, the following has happened several times: suddenly a stem starts to wilt (despite being watered when the top of the soil dries out) and starts dying either from the bottom up or from the top down.
    I checked for bugs but I can’t find anything. Any idea what’s happening?
    Thanks!

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Can you reply with some photos? The whole plant, the stem and the leaves top and bottom. See Attach photos and files.
    How long have you had them? Have you moved, or moved the plants?

Can you lift the pots? They should not need water until they feel much lighter than when they have been watered.

3. NancyIbrahim

NancyIbrahim New Member

I had 3, each with several stems. The first one, over 2 years old, all three stems died in the same way but not at the same time. The second plant is doing ok so far, one stem died and 2 are ok. The third plant is large, i’ve had it for about a year now, 3 out of 6 stems died and now the fourth is wilting. I’m attaching photos of this one.
    Nothing has changed in the environment of the plants.

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks for the photos. What is in the pot with the Schefflera? Is it a support, or another plant? If another plant, how is it doing? Are the others also potted up with what ever that is?

5. NancyIbrahim

NancyIbrahim New Member

Nothing else in the pot, just 3 stems of schefflera

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps the potting medium is not sufficiently porous thus retaining moisture for longer periods than desirable; it could still be still moist below even though the top is dry. Are the plants getting enough light? It appears quite dark in the photos. The following document may be of interest. Compare the suggested cultivation conditions with your own.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.