scared for my baby...

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by plantindiva, Apr 29, 2009.

1. plantindiva

plantindiva Member

Ok I live in South Carolina and planted a Sago Palm tree about a year ago. I've just read other blogs about transport shock which explains why the leaves turned brown last year. But I believe that the new leaves are growing brown also. I bought a liquid fertilizer and also a pellet fertilizer and used them with in a week of each other. I asked parent from the daycare I work at about my tree and she just informed me that too much fertilizer will kill the root. Now I'm so sad and scared that I've killed my palm tree. please help

Attached Files:

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Most Palms in pots, are not fertilizer friendly... only a weak solution is advised....

You may want to flush the roots from the fertilizer, and see what transpires... but be mindful not to keep the roots saturated or too wet....

3. plantindiva

plantindiva Member

Okay I'm new too this rigt now it get pretty hot down here so I just need to stick the hose in the ground n that's how you flush the fertilizer? Do you think it my palm looks ok or do u think its sick? (the leaves there now are originalnot new)

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hi, the photos are so tiny, but the Sago Palm looks ok... flushing may not work if you have slow drainage... sorry if this doesn't help...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a cycad, not a palm; cycads are poisonous if eaten, so certainly keep your baby away from it if you think he/she is likely to try chewing it.

6. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Member

Sagos love sandy well draining soil, if there is too much clay or it is over watered it will tend to stress the plant out. Michael F is right it is not a palm but more closely related to the conifer and I have had great results fertilizing with just regular lawn fertilizer.