Saxifraga fortunei in a container?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by dt-van, Nov 13, 2020.

1. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

This spring I bought a magenta flowered cultivar of Saxifraga fortunei, because I've had great success with a
    S. fortunei ‘Rubrifolia’ plant which I purchased about 25 years ago. Despite my garden's deep shade and wet winter soil it has thrived and spread enough to be divided into 3 nice clumps.
    The new plant has also done well, but on seeing it in bloom this fall I find that the magenta blooms get a bit lost against the dark soil and fallen leaves of autumn.
    For better visibility I'm considering moving it into a large, rail mount windowbox, closer to the house and wonder if it is likely to do well there. The box has a self watering reservoir in the bottom with about 6" of soil above that. In an elevated location exposed to rain, so the soil will be wet and will likely freeze harder and more frequently than in the ground - do I need to worry about the plant being too soggy or freezing during the winter? Does anyne have experience with growing these newer cultivars in a container in the PNW?

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    6 inches doesn’t sound like enough soil insulation —

I am familiar with cold outflows near the beach

In other words - Arp rosemary and hardy fuchsia have trouble

So I think it very much depends on what exact neighborhood you are in// then you know your exposure of your city lot // then finding an even more sheltered careful spot on your sundeck patio area.

3. Georgia Strait

Adding to my earlier input — I realize some plants in small pots are fine to hunker in and revive after our winter esp if we’ve tucked them in to a sheltered spot

What concerns me for your described scenario is the full-on air and cold circulation all around your new prized plant (balcony window basket)

I imagine if I could draw a diagram - it’d relate to how the road or sidewalk might not have frost ice yet the adjacent overpass bridge will have black ice due to air under over and around.

If it’s special - I would put the plant in a large container next to the house on sheltered side

I often plant in a sturdy black color nursery container that fits in a decorative container for the warmer non-frost seasons

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The impeded drainage only 6 in. down is the main thing that bothers me - are there any other plants living in this situation now?

Georgia Strait likes this.
  5. Georgia Strait

I agree with Ron B on this topic