Save my Mexican Fortune Tree!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by MessianicDreams, Jan 29, 2009.

1. MessianicDreams

MessianicDreams Member

Hi everyone,

[if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to shout at me and tell me to move it!]

Unfortunately I don't have exactly the greenest of thumbs, but I love my house plants!

It seems that my Mexican Fortune Tree (which, from a quick google search, I've found to be "Pachira Aquatica") is rapidly dying :(

It started with a few leaves turning brown and falling off, but now half the tree has lost its leaves and many more are starting to turn yellow. The new leaves that come through are shriveling up, and generally the plant is looking a bit worse for wear!

Initially it was in a corner of the room, mostly in the shade, however the card that came with it said to keep it in the shade. I've now taken drastic measures (OK, I panicked a bit at the idea of losing it!) and put the plant in front of the window.

I've attached a few pictures to try and help you guys figure out what could be wrong. I'm probably guilty of under-watering it, but I'm trying my best to keep the soil damp at all times now.

Sorry for poor pic quality, it's come off my phone!

Thanks for any help at all.

Cheers,

Ewan.

ps. I've included a shot of the pot in case it's that that's is too small. The plant is approx 5"10 high and a fair few few in circumference.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
  2. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I'm no expert, but I'd say being from Mexico, you are likely over-watering it. Now that I have opened my mouth, I'm going to go google the care and see what the all-mighty google machine has to say about it, hahaha, cos for all I know, I'm totally off base!

Edit: Yes, I'd say it's fair to believe that you are over-watering it. I'm not sure if you should re-pot it in dry soil or if that will just cause more stress to the plant. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I can tell you to let the soil dry out a bit.

3. MessianicDreams

MessianicDreams Member

Great! Thanks for the help. The care card that came with it said to keep the soil damp - but I'll let the soil dry out and see what happens!

thanks again.

EDIT: I've just had a look on wikipedia and whilst being called a Mexican fortune tree, the Pachira Aquatica a tropical wetlands plant native to Central and South America - point being, it should stay fairly wet. Also, would the yellowing of the leaves being symptomatic of overwatering?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Unfortunately yellowing leaves can be a sign of both over-watering AND under-watering, which doesn't really help you. If it was doing fine when you were being 'neglectful' of watering and has suddenly started dropping it's leaves when you made a concious effort to keep the soil damp that could tell you which it is....

5. MessianicDreams

MessianicDreams Member

Nah, it was never really doing "fine". The best it looked is the day I picked it up from the shop!

6. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Hm...do you remove it from its tray when you water it and let the excess drain out? Is it possible that it's just sitting in water at the bottom? (Now I'm just trying to trouble-shoot)

7. MessianicDreams

MessianicDreams Member

I don't normally remove the tray, but it's never sitting in water...

more leaves are falling off :(

Is the pot too small?

or does it need feeding? I only ever give it tap water...and i've done that since June-ish...

EDIT: here's another pic of the changing colour of leaves...they do that, go brown and fall off!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  8. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Hm...I'm not sure if it will help, but maybe you could let it free-drain after watering it for 15-20 minutes? That way the soil will retain the moisture it needs, and the rest will be gone.
    I couldn't tell you if it needs a bigger pot, though...It looks fine to me, and I even wonder if maybe moving it right now would cause more shock. If it were me, I'd try to give it lots of sun, let it dry out a bit, and making sure the water can run out after you do water it. Maybe cut off the leaves that look damaged, so the tree can try to grow instead of fixing something that is beyond repair. Saves energy that way.....I really wish I could be of more help.

9. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Well I've been researching too....apparently the leaves going yellow and floppy IS a sign of overwatering (thats what yahoo answers says anyway) so I'd do what Laticauda says don't do anything to it until it's had a chance to dry out, then when it does only water it when the top two inches of soil are dry....even if thats a bit extreme its much better to slightly underwater it than overwater it. When it recovers, then you can think about repotting it if it needs it, and when you do I'd pot it a mix with some sand mixed in for good drainage. Good luck and keep us posted:).

10. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

when you water it, take it off the pan, and take it outside to let it drain freely for about 15-30 minutes, then bring it bck inside. I think the water is just sitting at the bottom of the tray/pot and causing root problems.

11. James D.

James D. Active Member

Your plant (pachira aquatica) is really really prone to spider mites, you should check the undersides of the leaves for tiny webs and spiders. These can be dealt with either usuing an insecticidal soap,horticulture oil, or even just diluted rubbing alcohol.