'Salsola soda' or 'Salsola komarovi'?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by mudbug, Jul 27, 2003.

1. mudbug

mudbug Member

Hello,

I am looking for verification on the following images...

I believe that the photograph on the left (source: VidaVerde Seed Catalogue) is incorrectly titled under Salsola soda and perhaps should be Salsola komarovi - can anyone out there confirm?

I believe that the photograph on the right (source: Canoe Club Gyoma of Hungary) is the correct representation of Salsola soda - can anyone confirm this?

What specifically are the differences between Salsola soda and Salsola komarovi? Any specific links, references including detailed information would be appreciated. I have been searching online quite a bit so generic references not needed.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2003
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've used the Plants for a Future database to give me leads on texts that might contain some useful information.

Plants for a Future - Salsola soda
    Plants for a Future - Salsola komarovi (note: also spelled komarovii)

Salsola soda L. is described in Flora Europaea Vol 1, 1964 as being:

Salsola komarovii Iljin. is described in Flora of Japan 1965 as being:

Worth noting in this reference is a note that states:
    I believe this means that the plant once known as Salsola soda in Japan (at least prior to 1965) was not the Salsola soda described by Linnaeus, and was actually Salsola komarovii. This means that there has been some misunderstanding in the past, which can quite possibly be the source of much confusion today.

In general, Salsola soda is the larger plant - it's taller, its seeds are longer and its leaves are longer.

I would say the photo on the left is probably not Salsola komarovii based on leaf length alone (although there is no scale to the photograph, making it difficult to determine whether it might be in the range of 1-2.5cm). As to what it is, I'm not sure.

The plant on the right is most likely a Salsola, and could quite possibly be Salsola soda, but there are a few other Salsola species from Hungary that it could possibly be. The detail on the photo makes it difficult to be certain, although someone familiar with the plant might be able to sight-identify it.

Calphotos at Berkeley in California has excellent images of Salsola soda.

Sorry that I can't be more definitive!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2003
  3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

A scan of Salsola komarovii from Makino's Illustrated Flora of Japan.

Attached Files:

4. mudbug

mudbug Member

Daniel,

Thank you for your reply and the explaination/interpretation of the information from Plants for a Future.

There is yet another salsola I may as well include for identification and clarification, Salsola Kali, located here and I believe to be mislabeled. It also looks like Salsola komarovi syn. komarovii

I'm supplying more photographs of what I believe to be many found under the name "okahijiki" which means "Land Seaweed" in Japanese and is cultivated there and in Europe.

Does this mean there should be some official botanical clarification for horticultural purposes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Daniel Mosquin

With cultivated plants, it is often difficult to go back to the botanical description and come up with a match, particularly when desirable traits are selected for by plant breeders. An example in this case that would be relevant would be leaf length - most likely, it is a desirable trait and hence cultivated plants of Salsola komarovii could have leaf lengths well beyond the range of the true species.

Given that (and given that appearance esp. leaf length is what I have available to me), I'll revise my earlier suggestion and say that the original photo on the left might be Salsola komarovii - it certainly appears similar to the other photographs.

Also, I should point out that although some of the photos of Salsola soda from the Berkeley site show the leaf length as being short, the length (2-7cm) applies to the mature leaves (which can only be seen clearly in one of the photographs).

As for the plant labelled Salsola kali, it doesn't appear to be "densely covered with brittle bristles", which it is described as being in Flora Europaea. I suspect you are correct on that one, as well.

Again, apologies that I can't be more definitive. To clarify matters for this particular genus, it seems that more than the appearance of the plant is needed (e.g., seed size, detailed scans of the leaf apex, seed shape). That being said, since the photographs of edible material supplied look similar in appearance, I suspect it is all derived originally from the same species (Salsola komarovii.

6. mudbug

mudbug Member

A quite belated "thank you" for your research and attention to my questions.

:)