Sakura Cherry has browning, crisping leaves.

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by torinalth, Jun 1, 2011.

1. torinalth

torinalth Member

Hello everyone, I noticed there were a few threads regarding dieing cherries but after reading them they do not seem to have the same symptoms, nor is it the same tree type (though they are all similar). If I am in the wrong regarding the new post, then I do apologize.

Some quick background: I live in North Carolina in the USA (I know this is a BC site, but I am honestly at the end of my rope with sources), and just recently planted a stock of trees in my back yard about 2 months ago. 2 sakura (I believe that is the variety) cherries, 1 japanese maple, and a dogwood. All holes dug larger than needed, filled with black kow compost soil, surrounding soil is a rough red clay for the most part. all trees get about 3/4 direct sun. all looked great until about 2 weeks ago when 2 of them started to take a turn for the worse.

I had the 2 cherry trees planted roughly 25 feet apart from one another, one is doing great, the other started to wilt, brown, then crisp its leaves. now there are only about 5 green leaves remaining, the others are either browned mostly, or on their way. It all seemed to start once the week long showers ended and the sheer heat came about (upper 80s at first and now upper 90s). I thought maybe it was water, but why only 1 (cherry, the maple is doing something similar) and the other is not affected? I just installed a drip irrigation system and am watering daily now, but want to know if it is something other than water.

Im going to try and attach pictures to give a detail of the issue in just a moment. I do apologize if I am in the wrong for posting out of location, but nobody local seems to be of any use, and its fairly unnerving not having anyone to go to. Any help is welcomed.

Pictures left to right: cherry as a whole, green leaf turning, the end result for 95% of the leaves is the brown crispy leaf with the green middle area

Greg

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Greg, I think no-one has replied because it's hard to say why a tree would behave in this way. It could be what garden shops have always told me about house plants - "either too much water or too little water". Outdoors, it's easy to overwater when it's cool or underwater when it's hot.

It does sound like the sudden change in conditions has caused the problem. While the searing temperatures could have caused the leaves to die, that does not necessarily mean the tree has died. There is nothing more for you to do at this point, except treat the tree as if it's alive and see if it will come back next year.

I understand that many of our new cherries planted by the Parks Board last year looked dead all summer but are doing fine this year.

3. torinalth

torinalth Member

I understand. I will be keeping a close watch on the soil moisture for the next couple of months till the heat starts to fall back. regarding all the crisped leaves, would it be prudent to remove them once it gets cooler, or simply let them be and allow "nature to take its course"?