Identification: sago cycad (cycas revoluta)

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by bjbh, May 19, 2011.

1. bjbh

bjbh Member

several years ago I bought two small sago palms which I planted in pots outside. They grew extemely well with beautiful broad arching fronds that withstood the winters which would occasionally drop into the mid 20's briefly at night or early morning
    This year we had 3 days of sub-zero temps which killed the palms which were now in pots too big to move indoors. I cannot find any sago palms that look like the ones I had. Most have much narrower fronds that tend to grow straighter rather than arching over. They also have a bigger base--trunk --than the ones I had. Is there a name for the specific variety I had?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Do you have any photos of them? Maybe you had Sago Palms (Metroxylon sagu), and not Sago Cycads (Cycas revoluta, often but wrongly called 'palms')?

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I have one on either side of my driveway. I planted them from pups from the same original sago palm still growing in the same property's back yard. Both were pruned to the caudex this year at the same time, something I usually don't do. Since then, one has the most beautiful arching long fronds this year. A full month later, the other one sprouted new growth, but the fronds are much shorter. In my case, I know the long frond one has a much denser tree canopy overhead, but less problematic tree roots. The short frond one gets more sun, but more root competition from palms adjacent.

So my shorter frond specimen had more intense sun and less water during a crucial growth spurt. The sago's change in appearance may be environmental.

4. bjbh

bjbh Member

Thanks...they were in a location which only got morning sun so maybe that is the deciding factor! I will also look into the other suggested species which looks like they can become full grown trees. The base of mine didn't grow much...perhaps because of being in a planter. It just got a new set of fronds each year.