Saffron Crocus

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by Terry Phillips, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Terry Phillips

Terry Phillips Active Member

Saffron Crocus (Sativus Corms)

Attached Files:

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

The plants are not the most robust. About half survived the Winter. I harvested a few but not worth the effort so eventually destroyed the bed.

saffron crocus (Crocus sativus)
    29 September 2011 Saffron crocus (Crocus sativus)

29 November 2011 Saffron Bulbs have started to grow. 29 November 2011 Most of the Saffron bulbs have started to grow.

One hundred bulbs of the Saffron crocus(Crocus sativus)were planted at six inch centres, and about 6 inches deep.. These are recommended hardy above Zone 6. I am on the border(Zone 5B) so decided to take a chance on them thriving, since deep ground frost is often not severe in my local area. The bed was rototilled and compost added. Mulch will be added later. The bulbs were planted inside the rabbit fence, since crocus grow early in the Spring, and one rabbit can destroy all in one night. The objective is to harvest some saffron in the Fall of 2012.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  3. Terry Phillips

Terry Phillips Active Member

Nice good luck ! I like to grow many different variety's and see what I have the best luck with but this takes a lot to just get a little spice but very tasty ;-)>~

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

This corner of Spain produces some of the finest saffron in the world, and has done since the Arabs arrived with their crocuses almost 1,000 years ago, but the sector is a husk of what it once was.

Production is unpredictable because the bulb-like corms from which the crocuses grow are susceptible to fungus and very sensitive to temperature changes. Over recent years, the 200 producers whose saffron has protected origin status have seen what the climate emergency is doing to their crops....growers are asking the regional government of Castilla-La Mancha to fund an €18.5m strategic plan to save and develop the saffron sector.

Climate crisis and neglect threaten Spain’s saffron crop