Sad Meyer lemon

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Bluewing, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm a little embarrassed to post this picture of my Meyer (first & second photo) I had it indoors and it lost almost all of it's leaves, so I pruned it back thinking it would eventually bush out again and kept it in a semi heated garage over the winter with another citrus so I wouldn't lose any more leaves.
    The meyer was pruned back in the spring/early summer of last year, maybe too much!
    It did get some new growth last year, but not much. Should I toss it? Or should I wait and see if things get better this summer?

I had pruned back my miniature orange 'Calamondin' one year because of leaf loss due to being indoors as well yrs ago (winter months) and it seemed to take forever to grow back. It's now about 3' tall.
    Pic taken of the Calamondin a couple weeks ago.

Attached Files:

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

You "sad" meyer lemon looks better than my calamondin, if you have room to keep it it will probably shoot out and grow this summer. If you are tight on space give it away or compost it. It will probably take a while for it to be nice and bucshy again, but it looks like it has potential.

3. Bluewing

Thanks James!

Maybe there is some hope for the meyer then. If nothing happens by lets say, late summer, meyer tree will be taking a sky trip to the woods!

4. James D.

James D. Active Member

Or you can do what I do, if i have too many plants or some that are looking tired. I place them on my front lawn with a sign that sayd free and in the cover of darkness they are gone.

5. Bluewing

That's like here, people will take anything that's free, or not nailed down, no matter what it looks like, lol.