Rubber tree pruning

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by hibielover, Dec 17, 2006.

1. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

We have a rubber tree that is quite stretched and not really doing all that well. If it was cut halfway down the trunk, would it send new shoots,or would it maybe croak?Hate to lose it,it has beautiful leaves [whats on it ] Also, is there any way to root the part thats cut? Really appreciate any help with this!

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

The cut parts will root easily, especially if you use rooting hormone powder and a gritty mix. I wouldn't chop below the lowest existing branches, but otherwise it's worth a try, no reason to think it'll croak. You say it's 'stretched' - what do you mean? I assume it's gotten leggy, so give it some more light (not a huge change all at once, but gradually). Foliage will always 'reach' to the light unless it's too strong for the species.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you cut in to a Ficus be wary of sap flow. Have some rags or paper towel handy to sop up the goop.

4. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thanks for the good advice Rima and jimmyq! I'll get the paper towel ready for sure,and try rooting powder on the cutting.