Rubber plant - dropped leaves - help!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Scaley, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Scaley

Scaley Member

Help!

I have a rubber plant that has dropped a lot of its leaves. I think from overwatering. Below I have a picture of the plant, as well as a picture of a dropped leaf. One of the branch ends (with no leaves left) is actually soft - which I suppose is too much water as opposed to drying out.

I will be re-potting it as I do not think it is getting proper drainage. It sits beside a window that gets morning sun exposure for maybe one and a half hours, then it gets indirect daylight.

Much like my umbrella (different ailment) I have a concern over the bare branches. Where will new leaves grow once I stabilize the plant? I will be cutting of the limp end of branch that has no leaves - should I cut at the first bit of solid branch, or right after the last bit of good growth (my understanding would be the latter is the best approach).

Thank you!
    Cindy

Attached Files:

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

I'd cut from the top and wait for new ones to emerge lower down, and it's probably a good thing to repot into better soil and water less often, but what's it in now - a wine bottle?

3. Scaley

Scaley Member

Thanks. It is in a small pot that sits in a slightly bigger ceramic pot and it has a short piece of wood as a support (came with it). I will put it in a simple pot without a catch pot below it so I ensure it drains well.

Thank you,
    Cynthia

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Whatever you do, don't let it sit in its drain water because it'll be wicked back inside and rot the roots. It wouldn't be so bad for e.g. an African violet, but ficus are sensitive to any unneeded water.

5. QuercusRobur

QuercusRobur Member

Try bringing it outside then leaving it in the sun for a few days, put in a large pot with lots of fertile soil

6. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Hello,

Putting it outside might be a good idea, but right into the california sun would roast it in a couple hours. IF you can find some nice shade, sure, but I don't think lack of light is why it is losing leaves.

I'd surely pull it from the pot and look at the roots. There are likely dead roots to be cut off, then it can even go back in the same pot. Cut it back hard and give it good well drained soil (potting mix + 1/4 perlite). If it isn't dead yet then it should be fine.

I don't know of any plant that likes sitting in a tray of water, sorry Rima, but that is the surest way to kill and AV too. I have dozens AVs and the only ones I've lost is because of that... crown rot. Of all people I trust Rima to take good care of plants, I just wanted to make sure that any noobies reading this don't go and leave their plants in water and then write "please help my AV". lol

Michael

7. QuercusRobur

QuercusRobur Member

How long has it been like this? It might not be too late to plant it in part shade then put mulch around it

8. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

I agree with the above. Repot in a similar sized container with a rich, well-draining mix and place it outdoors in a shady, protected spot. It will also give you an opportunity to inspect the root structure. Sometimes you find rot or oversized roots which can be trimmed off and then you can give them a good dusting with rooting hormone. Many rooting hormone products also have anti-fungals. Many small roots are far more efficient at nutrient uptake than a few large ones.

That said, in my experience with these plants, once the stem goes bare, it probably won't get any more leaves or branches along it. If you can get the plant going again, I'd consider air-layering it just below where the healthy growth is and then planting this top section into a pot of its own. I've even had success simply cutting it off, dipping it in rooting hormone and sticking it in the soil...sometimes it takes...sometimes it doesn't. However, I'd do this during the plant's active growing season.

Good luck.

9. Scaley

Scaley Member

Thank you for all the input. I was hoping that leaves would pop out where there are no more, but I figured that was far-fetched. Hopefully with pruning, I can get it to fill in more. It is very hot down here lately, but I will see about sticking it outside in filtered light. One of the things that took me by surprise was how fast plants dried out this Spring (I am new to California having come down from much wetter Northwestern Oregon).

Thank you,
    Cindy

10. Amanda B

Amanda B Member

I am having the same problems with my rubber plant. I attached some pictures. I dont know what is wrong. I have it in indirect sunlight all day. It has been there for 3 months and doing great and this week the leaves turned colors, they fall off and are drooping. Any ideas?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]