Roses at the Niagara Gorge and Niagara Falls

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by singer74, Jun 26, 2007.

1. singer74

singer74 Active Member

Anyone familiar with the Niagara Falls area? All along the brink of the falls, on the Canadian side, there is a low stone wall. Just on the other side of it, on the edge of the cliff, is an awesome display of miniature roses! I was there for a short time yesterday afternoon, and saw 2 or 3 different kinds of roses. One was cream colored just barely tinged pink on the edges, had double blooms with about 30 petals, and the blooms were only about 4-6 cm in width.

The other variety I remember was a single bloomer, with fuschia petals that fade to white near the center, and only 5 or 6 petals per bloom, and the blooms were only about 3-4 cm across. These are shown in the two attached pics.

Both of these appeared to be ramblers, as they had canes just going every which way, and they had TONS of blooms on them. Especially the fuschia ones -- those had at least 10 blooms per spray, if not more.

There was a 3rd variety of which I think I only saw one bush. They were medium pink, with tiny round buds (rather than pointy), and the open blooms could only have been about 2 cm across.

All these roses were so gorgeous and healthy, and they looked wild, so it was really beautiful against the backdrop of the Niagara River and the falls. The cream colored ones had a strong, sweet fragrance. I knew we wouldn't be back home for a while, and it was very hot out, otherwise I would have picked some! I was so excited to see them growing like that, but I don't think the Parks commission would look too kindly on taking cuttings there. Although I am still thinking about it......... ;-)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sounds like a planting.