British Columbia: Rosemary and Bay

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Runningfarmer, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Runningfarmer

Runningfarmer Member

I've not grown Rosemary or Bay outside before. Will they survive outside in Vancouver over the winter. Thanks, Bruce.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Depends on exposure, neighborhood, and soil. And there is a range of hardiness in rosemary, some kinds are more hardy than others. Both rosemary and bay laurel want a Californian climate, the more warm and dry the planting site the better the likely outcome.

3. Runningfarmer

Runningfarmer Member

Thanks. I think our constant winter rain and cold snaps would be too much for any long term success.

4. Ron B

There are numerous examples in Seattle, esp. of the rosemary, which is very common in plantings here. During the coldest winters less hardy forms of rosemary are lost, and the bay trees get burned. But I've read these also get singed during cold winters in their native habitat as well.

5. Runningfarmer

Runningfarmer Member

Thank you. Today I met a gardener in Vancouver who has both a large, old bay and rosemary in a protected, sunny area of his garden. Encouraging. Thanks again, Bruce.

6. Ron B

Some bay trees in Seattle are over 40' tall. And I'm talking about Laurus nobilis, and not confusing it with Umbellularia californica.

7. robyn

robyn Active Member 10 Years

There is a variety of rosemary called ARP which is meant to be quite a bit hardier than most. Both this and the bay, plant in full sun and well drained soil, and it should really be fine.