Rose plant markers

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Natalie Bloxham, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Natalie Bloxham

Natalie Bloxham Member

I have a garden with approximately 100 different rose varieties. I am looking for formal markers that would identify each rose by name and class.

Is there a company that has these markers ready-made?

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I use copper plant tags - these should be available from most gardening centers, but I get mind from Lee Valley Tools. You can script on it with any ordinary ball point pen. Each lot of 50 tags comes with copper wires to attach the tags to the plant. I use a 5 mm letter and mumber stamping set to make the labelling more formal. Some of these labels have been on my roses for 10 years and still look good. However, I did have to replace the original copper wires on some of the older tags, as they corrode and disintegrate eventually.

I have tried using the standing plant markers before - those that you stick in the ground. I have given up on these as
    1. I plant so thickly that parts of my garden looked like I was growing plant markers!
    2. They are more expensive - much more.
    3. They get in the way of garden work.
    4. They can be downright dangerous if you have to use power tools near them. I made up my mind the instance one of them flew off like a bullet when my power trimmer inadvertently got just a bit too close.