Rose Painted Calathea

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ElizabethJ_x, Jun 2, 2020.

1. ElizabethJ_x

ElizabethJ_x New Member

This plant is fairly new, my other plants are doing perfectly fine but this seems to have curled at the edges?
    I have been watering it as soon as the soil gets dry, it is also placed on a high shelf opposite a North facing window.
    Just wondering what the cause of this could be? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm not sure, but I'm just checking that after you water, it you lift it out of the pink pot to make sure there is no water there (to pour out any water that was sitting there). Also, it's small enough to lift it to see when it needs water - feel how heavy it is after you water it, and make sure it's lighter when you water it again.

High shelf opposite a north window might not be enough light for it.

ElizabethJ_x likes this.
  3. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Hi Elizabeth. :) Wendy's right, definitely too-low light levels there. To be happy, that plant would probably want to be right up in the middle of a North window, only inches away from it, instead of opposite the window. Another way might be to get it the best light you can, then add some supplemental LED or fluorescent light from a couple 100-watt-equivalent bulbs in a lamp you could put right over the plant. That plant will look amazing when it's happy. I miss mine, it's been about 20 years since I had one.