rose bushes

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by babygurl6162008, Sep 19, 2007.

1. babygurl6162008

babygurl6162008 Member

i have a rose bush that i bought at the begining before summer and it wasnt time to plant it outside so it started to grown in my home. i planted it very soon after but it only get one rose bud on it at a time and when they bloom they bloom a couple weeks apart is this normal for them to only get one bloom on them at one time and how to i care for it in winter time so it will come back next summer

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I am not clear on where you are growing your rose right now. In a container? Indoors? What type of rose is it? How big was it when you bought it?

In general, a young rose with a small root system is not going to give you plenty of blooms. Once it has had time to establish a good root system, you should see more blooms. This applies especially to own-root specimens, but holds true for grafted roses too. Although, the latter will have at least a couple of years' headstart on an own root.

3. babygurl6162008

babygurl6162008 Member

its an outdoor rose bush in my yard im not exactly sure what type of rose bush it is but it was to early in the season to plant it when i bought it so i waited to plant it. it about 2 feet tall and only gets i rose on it at a time

4. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    You could have a hybrid tea rose which produces only one bud on the end of each stem. You might also find that your rose will only produce flowers on the previous years growth the Peace H.T. rose is an example of this. Most Hybrid Tea roses need a warm climate zone 7 or higher and need protection in the winter if the tempature falls below freezing for any length of time. Some rose varieties are just not vigorous, find out what you have and start from there.

Greg Holmes

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Low flower production due to inadequate inputs, need to keep up the moisture and fertility, often pest and disease control as well to get complete results from many modern "everblooming" rose cultivars. Many of these only hardy to 10F as well, making protecting of crowns with deep mulch each fall necessary in climates where temperatures below this expected.