Rose Bush/All Leaves

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Sandylotus, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Sandylotus

Sandylotus Member

Hello :)

My mom gave me a beautiful rosebush a few years ago (do not know what kind)
    it had beautiful orange-pink blossoms...after i planted it (2 years ago) it has not bloomed...only has lots of skinny branches with 5 leaf clusters...i don't know much about gardening or roses...how should i prune it to make it blossom ?

Thankyou very much !

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the best time to prune roses is in very early spring - just before it comes out of dormancy - or in late fall right after it goes dormant.

i'd really wait until at least fall and take all the canes down to about 2 feet tall.

i usually do a hard prune every few years and just do a minimal one the others. the one bush didn't produce too many blooms and was scraggly looking. i did the hard prune this spring and WOW!! it went from only a handful of/maybe a dozen total blooms to having at least 2 dozen bud groups and each group had at least 8 buds. looked fantastic when they all opened up!!

without knowing the variety, it's hard to know the best pruning routine and it becomes a matter of trial/error.

you could try doing a partial hard prune now...it's still early enough (and not too hot yet) and you might get something going this season.

3. Sandylotus

Sandylotus Member

Thankyou...i will just experiment then and see what happens...it gets full sun..looks healthy otherwise...just that all the branches look the same...all leaves...no buds/flowers...and thin canes...not woody or thick...i'll take a photo this weekend...
    a before and after.... :)

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably the orange one froze and died in one of your brisk winters, leaving behind a rootstock to sprout and make its own top. If that is what happened then you are looking at the rootstock sprouts instead of the orange variety that was grafted onto it.

5. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Most likely not a root stalk if it has five leaflet. A picture of the leaf would certainley help. I would cut it back to two or three heathier canes and lightly dig in some manure . Then see what happens next season.