Rose Aphids - Help!

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by FPTJ, May 25, 2008.

1. FPTJ

FPTJ Member

I am a first-year rose gardener. I have 5 roses in containers. 4 were from J&P and one from another rose supplier, the name of which I have forgotten. That one is known as Frankly Scarlet. I have discovered an outbreak of rose aphids on two new growth areas of the Frankly Scarlet. There are also a few aphid eggs on the undersides. This rose had yellowish leaves on its' base a week ago and I gave it some rose food. I am not sure if this is related to the aphids. I check my roses every day and this evening is the first time I saw the aphids/eggs. What can I do to get rid of the aphids and how bad is the prognosis??

I have put this rose in quarantine on another part of our patio, about 6 feet away from the other roses, which so far look aphid-free. Is this far enough to prevent spreading the infection??

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

aphids are common problems with roses. you can just blast them with water from your hose to get them off. or, you can treat with a systemic spray. using plain water will only knock them off - they'll come back. the systemic treatment kills them and repels new ones that land.

3. FPTJ

FPTJ Member

Thank you! Many of the reliable systemic pesticides are banned in my city so I am trying Safer's soap. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again for your help.