Rootstock Choice for JM Cultivars

Discussion in 'Maples' started by guy, Feb 29, 2012.

1. guy

guy Member

In several other threads on this site I've been reading about other peoples thoughts about rootstock choice for JM Cultivars. Particularly those of Mr Shep & his thoughts on the use of Acer palmatum, Acer amoenum and Acer matsumurae.

So my question is where today can one buy seed of these three types individually & have confidence that they are indeed one or the other. Do these 3 species not hybridize naturally leading to a big genetic soup of commercially produced seedlings?

2. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I have had to collect my own seedlings to get the desired rootstock...and even that doesn't work out perfectly every time. I tend to lump Amoenum and Matsumurae together while keeping palmatum separate...although I'm not sure I agree with the normal requirements for the separation of palmatum from the other two. I think Amoenum and Matsumurae hybridize very readily, but neither hybridize with palmatum as readily. I find that most "atropureum" varieties fall into the Amoenum/Matsumurae group, even though the leaf shape is closer to that of palmatum. I tend to look at bark striations, leaf size, samara shape/size, and also bud type as opposed to relying too heavily on depth of leaf division. I guess I have more of a "feel" for certain varieties than a true scientific knowledge of them. Sometimes I have no choice but to try and graft red on red and green on green, because it is difficult to get the desired rootstock.