Roots

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by ewc79, Jul 13, 2005.

1. ewc79

ewc79 Member

This may be hard to answer, but I thought I would ask. My house unfortunately has a septic tank and drain field in the front lawn. They say not to plant on the drain field because of the roots damaging the drain field.

My question is: do Palm trees (Majesty palm, Queen Palm, etc) have large root systems that you think may spread to a drain field? I have heard that Palm trees usually spread the roots downward?

Also, not a Palm, but do you know if Crape myrtles have a large root system?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I wouldn't if I was you, septic fields are not deep enough to plant on top of. Also, if the plant gets big enough, it could break the pipe from it's wieght, I'm not sure about the roots of a mrytle, I don't think they are that big, don't quote me though. I hope that someone can help you.
    Carol Ja

3. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Planting on a septic field should be limited to grasses or ground covers. The consequences of doing this wrong (economic and environmental) can be alarming. With new regulations in our area the cost of a new septic field for a 3 bedroom house ranges from about $7000 to over $15000. Often you are not allowed to simply repair an old field, or even replace it in the same spot.

Ralph

4. ewc79

ewc79 Member

Thank you both. I planted them a little away from the field.