Root size of himalayan rose

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by tritonx, May 2, 2011.

1. tritonx

tritonx Active Member

I have a root of a himalayan rose that was given to me a year ago. it has budded and produced a few flowers on a cane in the first year and then I put it in a pot to be moved to my new garden in a scraped earth new housing development which is heavy clay soil with lots of rocks. I had planned for it to have an entire, very big and solid cedar arbour to itself and dug a hole next to the arbour. However, overnight the hole filled with water from the rain, a bucket of clay that will drown any plant except a bullrush. So, I'm thinking of alternatives to putting it in the clayey soil. How much root space does a himalayan rose need? I was thinking of using a half barrel and just avoiding the heavy (and rocky) clay issue. But will a half barrel provide enough root room for a healthy plant?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Rosa brunonii? This grows quite large, large enough to reach the top of a tall tree. Maybe make an earthen mound or raised bed for it, consisting of topsoil dumped on top of the existing soil, without blending the two together.

3. tritonx

tritonx Active Member

I'm not sure exactly what kind it is as it was given to me second hand from a friend of a friend. I know that it was in fact climbing a tree at the original owner's garden. Thanks for your suggestion. I think what I'll do is try it in the half barrel and see how it does and when/if it shows signs of being rootbound, move it to a bed near the back fence which is on higher ground and not so wet. Then it can have the fence to itself to grow along. I'm assuming I should be able to train it horizontally as it won't have a vertical to climb. I think a bit more research is in order.