rododendron sun burn

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by barely, Mar 27, 2010.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Might have a bit of browing from sun.

A lot of those spots might be from a fungi or bacteria growing in water drops on the leaves in certain temperature and humidity conditions.

Looks like a few nothes in leaves. Are root weevil a problem in your area?

2. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Are you referring to the yellowing or the dried discoloration of the ends of the leaf, Chimera? Barely, can you provide a close-up photo?

3. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    M.D. Vaden, yes, I have a viburnum and a few other older rhododendrons in another area, which came with the townhouse on the shady east side under trees and near the side of the house, which are plagued heavily by weevils I think. I will try the various traps and nematodes this year. A hedge of Skimmia in the same spot as the latter does not seem to suffer from the same problem. The area on the northwest side, at the front of the townhouse where these rhododendrons are, is fresh and breezy, in crosswinds we get, prevailing southeasterlies or northwesterlies, I don't think there should be a humidity or fungus problem.

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes , both in my photos are from sunburn.

5. barely

barely Member

Now that it is the end of May I thought I would include yet another two shots of the Pink rhododendron. The plant looks greaat on one side at least...

Attached Files: