Rock garden flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Ken R, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Ken R

Ken R Active Member

This plant with blue-green foliage is blooming now in a rock wall here in Virginia. Can anyone name it?

Attached Files:

2. Ken R

Ken R Active Member

Poking around the base of the plant, I found an old plastic stake with "Silene frivaldskyana" written in pencil. This is the kind of garden where many stakes have survived long after the original plant has gone. Can anyone confirm or rule out that ID?

Googling that name, I can't find a good picture or description of the plant. Has the name been replaced by a more valid one?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

4. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

Flora Europaea, 2nd edition, compares it to Silene chlorantha, and says it differs in having white (vs. pales yellow-green) petals, a longer calyx (12-16 mm vs. 9-12 mm) with narrower teeth and inflorescences with usually only one flower per branch (vs. 1 to 3)

5. Ken R

Ken R Active Member

Thanks, Ron and David.

IPNI lists the species with a slight spelling change; S. friwaldskyana. However, the other spelling, with a v instead of a w, is a little more common on the Internet. The species seems to be native to the Balkans. I still can't find a picture or full description in English on the 'net.

As shown in the photo, these flowers are about 25mm long, from the base of the sepals to the end of the petals. The top three flowers are singles and the rest are paired, all on a sticky stem. So, perhaps this is not S. friwaldskyana.

So, what is it?

Attached Files:

6. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

Flora Europaea gives the name as S. frivaldszkyana! I think the 'branches' are the stalks of the individual flowers. S. chlorantha is described as being 'Glabrous and usually glaucous ...basal leaves lanceolate spathulate; cauline (lvs.) small linear' and frivaldskyana is implied to share those characteristics.

7. Ken R

Ken R Active Member

Oh ho! A search on the third spelling yields a whole new set of web pages, including this page with links to three photos.

It looks like my plant could be S. frivaldszkyana or something pretty closely related.

Again, many thanks. And if anyone can shed more light on the plant, please do.