Robusta Rose

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Unregistered - newbie on roses, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Would like some info on growing the Robusta in Vancouver:
    1. Does it have blackspots - read on the internet that it does & that it doesn't.
    2. Is it scented?
    3. Can I trim it back as I would like it along a hedge, to about 2 ft?
    4. Is there a better hedge growing rose that is scented.
    Thanks.

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Asking if a rose has black spot is like asking a person if they have chicken pox, you would have to look at an individual plant to tell if it has black spot.
    Robusta Rose (also sometimes called KORgosa) has some scent, but not a lot. It can be grown as a hedge quiet well. It is more of a free flowing rose, I would prune it back, but I don't think it would like the hedge trimmers. Damask roses are known for their scent. I don't know how well they would take to hedge trimmers either though.
    ask your local nursery what they have, some hybrid with damask might be your answer.
    Carol Ja

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pruning with hedge trimmers probably doesn't matter, selective thinning long advocated has been seen in early part of ongoing Royal National Rose Society (UK) tests to actually yield less bloom than whacking them back evenly, like a hedge (more stem tissue left = more blooms later). See their web site for updates.

Timing is important, I wouldn't do it now. How often you would do it and how far back would vary with the habit of the particular rose, old garden roses (such as damasks) not being pruned as much as modern bedding types (like floribundas).