Robust leafy green invader!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Laura Luris, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Laura Luris

Laura Luris Member

Several of these invaders have popped up in my Vancouver bed of greens! I've been waiting to see how it grows. The initial outer leaves are quite round, inner ones pointy, and now it has small yellow flowers, and a long root that smells quite pungent when snapped open! I'm stumped! Any ideas? Thanks!

upload_2019-6-23_21-7-55.jpeg upload_2019-6-23_21-7-55.jpeg upload_2019-6-23_21-7-55.jpeg upload_2019-6-23_21-7-55.jpeg upload_2019-6-23_21-7-55.jpeg upload_2019-6-23_21-7-55.jpeg upload_2019-6-23_21-7-55.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
  2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

This looks a lot like the Komatsuna mustard spinach that I grew this spring. Komatsuna is a horticultural variety of Brassica rapa and is quite mild tasting; if those plants are bitter or strongly flavoured, they're probably some other variety of Brassica.

3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Most possibly Komatsuna (Brassica rapa var. perviridis), especially those with more bluish-greyish matte tone. On the second picture, the one with more glossy leaves might be Pak Choi (Brassica rapa subsp. chinensis)

4. Laura Luris

Laura Luris Member

Oh isn't that interesting! Thanks for your reply. I did taste a leaf and it was quite mild. I did actually plant some type of mustard greens in that area last year that didn't do well at all. I wonder if some managed to re-seed itself, and the resulting survivors turned out quite robust? I just googled Komatsuna and it does indeed look the same! Thank you for solving the mystery!